• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on what MB to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csst

Registered
I will be getting my QX6850 and my GeForce 8800 Ultra in the next few days. My question i have whats the best MB to get for OCing this CPU. I will be using water cooling. I like the MB i have now but i have the DS3 rev 1.1 which is the old one and its does not support the 1333 FSB so I'll need to pick up another MB. i would like to get a good ocing MB but at the same token have a MB that i will not have to upgrade for a little while..(If possible maybe even a MB that will use DDR-2 and DDR-3 in case i decide to upgrade my RAM, I'll be using my DDR-2 ram i have in my SIG, i will pretty much keeping all the same hardware i use beside the CPU and the VID card and of course the MB i will need to get. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Csst

I'd recommend either the Abit IP35 Pro or Asus P5K Premium. I would not get a motherboard that allows both DDR2 and DDR3. Pick one or the other. DDR3 is next year's hot ticket. I'd stay with DDR2 if you are buying now.

I think your MoBo will support 1333 FSB w/ a BIOS update. I could be wrong, but most of the 965 boards now support 1333FSB.

I'd stay away from the boards that support DDR2 & DDR3. I've heard they like to kill RAM sticks. DDR2 is the way to go for now.

The best 2 boards out right now afaik are the Asus P5K Premium, and the "green" P35 DFI board.

If I was you I'd try to get that CPU running in your current MoBo w/ a BIOS update, and wait a few more weeks for the X38 MoBo's coming out.

the P5K Premium has a lot of issues reported with SATA drives - Hitachis, Samsung, WDs.
Maxtor/Seagate looked to be OK but I saw 1 reported problem with them today on a forum.

I think your MoBo will support 1333 FSB w/ a BIOS update. I could be wrong, but most of the 965 boards now support 1333FSB.

Unfortunately for him rev 1 does not officially support 1333MHz although rev 3.3 does support it.

IMHO a QX6850 deserves nothing less than an Asus P5K Premium or an X38 if you can wait a little.

Oh and 2nd what have been mentioned about DDR2. The problem with boards that support both DDR2 and DDR3 like the GA-P35C-DS3R is that people think the reference voltage is 1.8V like on the GA-P35-DS3R and it is not. The reference voltage is 2.0V so they end up putting too much voltage on the DDR2 sticks. So follow Mav's and Jason's advise and stick with DDR2.

Ok thanks guys... yea i have the Rev. 1.1 and i know it doesn't support the 1333FSB so it should be ok for now just to use the board i'm using now until the end of the month, and grab the X38 you think.. will that be a good Ocing board? Also does that X38 board use DDR-2 RAM? Also any links on reviews of this board? thanks again for all the advice..

X38 is the chipset there will be many boards and I am sure a few bios revisions like always to shake out the bugs

Does anyone know what X38 board will be good? Or is it way to early to tell.

Csst

IMHO we need to have a few experts around here play with some X38 boards before I go buy one.

X38? just get a abit IP35 Pro. Its not like theres really a difference. Your not gonna notice the speed difference when you use it, only on benchmarks really.

Yea i just want to make the right Purchase and get a board that will oc my new CPU i'll be getting very soon.

I got the IP-35 pro (installing win on it now in the other room) and with the rebate it was $155, how can you go wrong there. I believe I got it at mwave but its out of stock, there or clubIT.com I figured for what I paid, if X38 is killer, I wont feel that bad.

Back