• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with polishing the laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocketman768

So, after wet-sanding the clear coat, I have come to polishing it with Turtle Wax polishing compound. I have a non-abrasive pad that I'm using to polish it with. After about an hour of me killing my shoulder, the finish is looking pretty nice. However, there are still lots of teeny circular scratches that you can see when held up to a light. Am I pressing too hard, or do I just need to keep polishing forever? On each pass, it doesn't seem that I'm doing too much better.

I detail cars for a side income, first off, step away from the TW. Run down to the local autoparts store and pick up Meguiars #80 speed glaze. This will take the finer swirls out, then I'd recomend a follow up of the Deep Crystal, this has a ton of fillers in it, so if there are swirls left, if should fill them in.

Those are the only products I know are easy to find at pretty much any auto store.

Sounds like a good job on the laptop though, any pictures of it?

I could not find any Meguiars #80 speed glaze. What kind of Deep Crystal do you mean? List some alternative products if you could, or just a general type of product to look for. I tried some Nu-Finish scratch doctor that claimed it could take swirl marks out of the clear coat...it didn't. I'm taking it back. Anyway, here is a picture! Tell me what you think will help.

tinyscratches2te0.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's shiny! However, it's just not completely like glass as you can see around the reflection of the window.

Would an orbital buffer look significantly better than using my hand and a buffing pad? Avyer, by Deep Crystal, did you mean the 3-step thing?

I cant be certain from the pics, but it looks like its more of the polish job than the clearcoat and waxing. How did you sand/polish/prep the surface before coating it?

Next, how many coats of clear?

When I polish aluminum, its usually a die grinder to remove edges and such, then 400grit, 600grit (longest time spent here) then a bit of 800grit. Every stage of paper is used till the surface finish is even (aka no marks/scratches/gouges that stand out from the rest of the surface). Then after that clean the crap out of it with dawn and a scotch brite, then 1000grit. Clean it again and polish it with a clean cloth wheel on a vari-speed drill with some polishing rouge. Then clean it again. Polish again. Clean again, and then clear coat it. Getting it actually to look like a mirror with no marks takes a *long* time.

I wouldnt use a 'non abrasive pad' to apply the wax. I would use a new microfiber cloth or wax applicator. A 'non abrasive pad' could be the sort of thing you use to wash your dishes.

Back