• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opening up a LAN Center, please post opinions on Computer Specs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anwar1337

CPU : Intel e6850 $269
CPU Cooler : Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme $54
Fans : Kingwin 120MM 80CFM 30DB fan $5.99x2=$12
Motherboard : ASUS P5N32-E $171
Ram : Corsair Dominator pc-8500 2x1GB $199-$40MIR
HDD : Maxtor 200GB SATA $51
GFX : ATi 2900XT HD $399
Case : COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP $69
Monitor: NEC FE992-BK 19"CRT $110
P/s : Antec NeoPower 650 $109
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total $1443-40=$1403.

Last edited:
Preferring ATi cards over nVidia's because HL2 was based off the same engine ATi cards render on and HL2 will be the main focus at this lan center! :) Thanks for any help.

why the 2900XT? as far a si know the 8800GTS still beats it in most cases no ?

and i would get a corsair PSU not the antec.

and why a maxtor 200, get a seagate 7200.10 series.....

i would go for the antec Nine Hundred as it has great airflow and has a nice big window

+1 more vote for a corsair psu HX620

i would go for the antec Nine Hundred as it has great airflow and has a nice big window

+1 more vote for a corsair psu HX620

when you build for a lan center like that, what maters is a mix of economy and performance.

the antec 900 is a nice case, depending on number of systems, it will add up. I dont see a problem with the neopower, but if the corsair is real close in price, get it.

If your opening up a lan center, you dont need them to be all overclocked. Its a LAN center, how about going with 19" widescreen monitors so you run games at 1440 x 900 ? You can find LCD steals opening a business depending on how many you are buying. This also helps marketing appeal. This will allow you to have stock rigs. Go to stable, but lower ocable parts. Invest money saved for a xeon 3210 which will run games at that res for quite some time just fine.

Look at the nvidia 8800 series for less heat and power savings. The 2900xt loves the source engine, but how many hundreds of FPS do you need? The 8800 series would run it fine. Hell, my 6600gt ran source pretty high.

How much more is the Q6600 or X3220? Since i don't think you'll be upgrading the cpus very soon, quadcore would allow you to run future games better.

Besides, marketing gimmick! "Game on a QUADCORE"

here i made a quick setup that will work absolutely perfect.

Add some nice and quiet heatsink/fan and some copies of Windows and a Keyboard/mouse

you dont need anything fancy, you need something thats gonna work, thats gonna last and thats gonna play the games.

You can add 2 more gb of ram for another $70, and still be under $1400 ;)

setup.jpg

Well, CRT's are a must because im in the competitive spectrum of CS:S and every gamer prefers CRT's > LCD's because of the fact that some gamers use 100Hz like me and thats not attainable with LCD's and if they come to our lan and use a different Hz setting, it changes their sensitivity. Also, the reason I picked that case was that it had 3 120MM fans and an additional slot to put a 120mm fan right above the cpu HSF.

Well, CRT's are a must because im in the competitive spectrum of CS:S and every gamer prefers CRT's > LCD's because of the fact that some gamers use 100Hz like me and thats not attainable with LCD's and if they come to our lan and use a different Hz setting, it changes their sensitivity. Also, the reason I picked that case was that it had 3 120MM fans and an additional slot to put a 120mm fan right above the cpu HSF.

QFT... i absolutly HATE lcd screens for the fact the max on most is 60hz refresh... and i run vsync and i cant take limiting myself to 60fps... i hate LCD's so much i bought a used 21inch crt that can run 1600x1200 @ 85hz! for 40 bucks.

do some calling around and see if you can get bulk deals. local dealers might be cheaper than newegg or other etailers in that respect.

Back