• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danzio

I just upgraded to the sys in sig and I am having way too much heat. I am running 54-60C idle and quicky get into the 70's with any of the stress tests. I just ordered one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103026 and two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835129030.
However, I need some help from those of you with a Gigabyte P35-S3L mobo. I don't seem to be able to get the proper settings in MIT (motherboard intelligent tweaker) from BIOS. I can't seem to get to the manual settings for mem timings. I tried flashing the BIOS but I get an error after reading the new BIOS from the floppy. Tried several times. Also how do I find the current BIOS revision?

0. What program are you using to measure temps? Does it display "CPU temp" or "core 0 and Core 1" ?

1. Re-seat heatsink - your delta from idle to load is ok, however it would eliminate a bad seating.

2. Make sure you apply thermal paste the right way. (1 grain of rice)

3. You mobo might be having issues - re-set battery and try configuring for lower voltages or at least try getting stock settings.

4. Update BIOS if you can - some older BIOS rev.'s can cause over-heating.

5. Disable "CPU Spread Spectrum"

Let me know what you can acheive!

-D

0. What program are you using to measure temps? Does it display "CPU temp" or "core 0 and Core 1" ?

1. Re-seat heatsink - your delta from idle to load is ok, however it would eliminate a bad seating.

2. Make sure you apply thermal paste the right way. (1 grain of rice)

3. You mobo might be having issues - re-set battery and try configuring for lower voltages or at least try getting stock settings.

4. Update BIOS if you can - some older BIOS rev.'s can cause over-heating.

5. Disable "CPU Spread Spectrum"

Let me know what you can acheive!

-D

1. I am pretty certain my hs is okay, but the new cooler will be here in a couple days.
2. I used the size of 1 rice grain and spread it with a credit card (very thin, even coverage.)
3. I will try a re-set tonight.
4. Need help here, as stated I was unable to flash BIOS, got a check error after reading the floppy from QFlash.
5. Didn't see this option in BIOS but will look for it again tonight.

This is the proper way to apply thermal compound (thin line down the middle)
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu_MB0...f/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

To access your memory timings, you need to press CTRL+F1 in the MAIN BIOS screen. The screen will flicker briefly then go into MIT and enable the DRAM Timing Table setting (can't recall exactly what it is called).....

I read that in one of your other posts and I tried it but it doesn't work. It continues to post and load into Windows, leading me to believe I don't have the same BIOS you're referring to.

Thanks,

I read that in one of your other posts and I tried it but it doesn't work. It continues to post and load into Windows, leading me to believe I don't have the same BIOS you're referring to.

Thanks,

you need to do it INSIDE the main BIOS (blue) screen, so press delete to enter BIOS and then do CTRL+F1 before you go to MIT

Back