• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 8800GTS dead??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

In the process of trying to find a cure to my crashing in MOHA last night I received several BSOD. Needless to say it ****ed me off so I shut the pc down for the night. This morning I booted up and my res. was at 800x600 so I go into device manager and no 8800GTS anywhere. I right click on my desktop and no Nvidia control panel. So I remove and reinstall both my chipset and vid card drivers and nothing. I reseated my vid card and all connectors and nothing. Does it sound like the card bit the big one? Also will the Vista 162.22 drivers support a 6600GT so I can rule out my mobo as being a problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well if you booted up and you were still using the video card then its not dead I would say. Ive been hearing about people having problems of the game crashing many times. If it turns on then enters hibernate mode then its gonna be the PSU.

First off I said nothing about it going into hibernate mode. In device manager wher you would have disply adapters there is nothing no 8800GTS. Also I tried to reinstall the the drivers both chipset and vid card twice. Also I just tried to play MOHA and Bio shock and a pop up states the vid card is not supported so how can I be using it?

Well you're getting a picture on the screen so that would indicate your vid card is actually working, since it's producing the image.

Did you look in the case for leaks or loose connections?
Otherwise it's very likely a software thingy (and I hate software thingy's, but I reformat and reinstal windows every month :))

I had a problem with my 8800GTS a couple weeks ago. Turns out the PCI-E power cord just got disconnected when I was unplugging a HD.

If you can see video then I don't think your video card is dead. Sounds like a registry problem.

From what you've said, it sounds like a software problem. When you tried to re-install your chipset and video drivers, did they both install successfully?

In the process of trying to find a cure to my crashing in MOHA last night .

I'm forgetting the obvious: What did you DO to try and cure crashing in MOHA?

Obviously something you did is causing the problem you're having now. Don't forget to completely uninstall rivatuner and get rid of its settings.

I'm forgetting the obvious: What did you DO to try and cure crashing in MOHA?

Obviously something you did is causing the problem you're having now. Don't forget to completely uninstall rivatuner and get rid of its settings.

Rainless I see in the EA forums where someone loosened their memory timings and the game stopped crashing and thats what I was doing. But I uninstalled the drivers and went into device manager and had it check for harware changes and then the card was recognized again.

I had a problem with my 8800GTS a couple weeks ago. Turns out the PCI-E power cord just got disconnected when I was unplugging a HD.

I guess yours might be different than mine.
When I tried to turn my computer on with the 6pin plug not connected the card let out a surprisingly loud and very annoying squeal.
Luckily it went away when I plugged the connector in.

I guess yours might be different than mine.
When I tried to turn my computer on with the 6pin plug not connected the card let out a surprisingly loud and very annoying squeal.
Luckily it went away when I plugged the connector in.

Did that when I built my comp with the 6800, didn't even see the molex on the side of it. Tried to turn it on and got a really loud beeping noise, scare the crap outa me, though I had fried the mobo. Upon closer inspection, my card needed a 12v source to it:bang head
Dan

Back