• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 700 HD crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atlantic

This is my first attempt at OC with a Celeron 700, Chaintech Mobo 6VTA2? (not listed on their site) ,TNT 2 32mb, Fujitsu 10gb HD.
I went in the Bios and brought the FSB up a step at a time until I reached 75mhz. Looped 3dBenchmark for 1.5 hour ran fine:) Pushed it up to 83mhz booted fine to desktop. When I tried playing a game my HD started pulsing never made it into game and it crashed. Rebooted with 66mhz and couldent make it to the desktop Doh! Formated and reloaded windows but lost a bunch of info off HD.
Is this a problem with the hard drive alone ie brand or age or is this a typical OC problem? I`m using SFH and a slocket with some voltage jumpers but I never changed them.Also only a 230 watt power supply.
Any advise would be appriciated
Overclocker of 24hrs:)

Hi Atlantic

Have had very similar experience...I overclocked a friends celly to 83mhz FSB and it ran great until he decided to get a different HD. 83mhz puts the PCI at 41.5mhz...too much for many HDs. If you can get the FSB to 100, the PCI divider changes and puts things back in line. Unfortunately, his Cel266 wouldn't do it but yours very well might. Probably need a bit more vcore voltage though. The first thing I do with a Celly is post it at 100FSB...

I've had good luck with both Quantum and Western Digital HDs

Good Luck

Back