• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Raptor 150gb problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidamina

Well yesterday i received the parts for my new machine and i assembled it:

mb: Asus Striker Extreme
cpu: Intel QX6850 (Silvertone NT06 cooling)
gpu: Asus geforce 8800 ultra
mem: pc6400 kingston 2*2gb kit cl4
hdd: 2 * wd raptor 150gb 10.000 rpm

So after the assembly everything seems to work (it took a biosupdate to detect the quadcore properly)
Even the harddisks were both detected.
So set both disks up in raid0 (mobo has support for that)
Booted, set up the array, rebooted and saw that it detected the 2 disks linked as one properly.

I found out that i forgot to install my legacy floppy, so i turned the computer off. Connected the correct cables and booted again.

Suddenly my Array Manager started showing ERROR in red letters. And for some reason the first disk in my array was not being detected anymore. I tried every single bios setting for this issue. How can it be that the floppy drive destroyed that drive. Even when i disconnect the floppydrive it has the same results. I changed the cables, changed the power supply cables. Still nothing.

Any idea lads?

It sounds like a sata connection problem despite changing cables. try repluging them and be sure that there are no shorts anywhere in the power cables. Since it was working and you messed inside to hook up the floppy, it is almost surely the trouble. I assume that you already started windows before this?

The diskdrive has been disabled in the bios again.
I tried different sata ports (even the external ones)
I tried different power types (both the old kind of power and the sata one)(not both together ofcourse)
Everything else seems to work (although i am getting some acpi errors after i installed my mobo drivers)

Could my harddisk be dead?

Could be but it is unlikely. ACPI could have somthing to do with it considering sata is a hot swappable device but also unlikely. ACPI must be enabled in bios for raid to function (I think). If you are using the ichr I think that there must be some other software installed besides the f6 drivers but I have no knowledge of Intel setups. Have you run the WD lifguard tools to see if it shows anything wrong?

Back