• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mem timing issues with P35-D3SL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danzio

I finally got into the memory timing settings in BIOS with the help of one of the members here (thanks GTengineer). Now my problem is that I can't get the memory to run at 400 mhz. My timings according to CPUZ is 4,4,4,12 at 400mhz but 5,5,5,15 at 500mhz which is where it wants to run. My heat is way up again and I just put a good heat sink and double set of 120mm fans on it. Before I overclocked it, it was running at 32C or so and now even at idle it is near 50C and into the low 70's at full load. I think this is due to memory timings because earlier, when I was able to get them set at 4,4,4,12 it ran much cooler.
I don't know much about this overclocking and I have researched the web but can't find much specific to my MOBO/CPU combo.
Any and all help appreciated.

Just so you know...changing RAM timings isn't going to affect temps at all.

Also, when you search for MoBos the other Gigabyte boards are very similar, so if you read about a DS3R/DS3P you can probably assume that the info might be pertinent to you.

Just to be clear,

You pressed Ctrl + F1 in the main bios menu so you can get access to the
memory timings.

You manually set the timings in the bios for 4-4-4-12 which is what shows up
in cpuz. But it runs at 5-5-5-12? That doesn't seem to jive.

Did you manually set the ram timings? or do you have it on Auto?

Just to be clear,

You pressed Ctrl + F1 in the main bios menu so you can get access to the
memory timings.

You manually set the timings in the bios for 4-4-4-12 which is what shows up
in cpuz. But it runs at 5-5-5-12? That doesn't seem to jive.

Did you manually set the ram timings? or do you have it on Auto?

Yes, I manually set them. When I go to CPUZ tab memory timings is shows 2 columns. One at 400hz and another at 500hz. The timings are listed for the 400 column at 4,4,4,12 and the 500 column at 5,5,5,18(? if I recall correctly). But then when I click on the tab to the left which I believe is "Speed", it shows the memory clocks at 5,5,5,18?? So I think there is something on the MOBO which is overriding the manual settings somehow?? But also in BIOS there are two columns when on the memory setting page. One is selectable when in manual mode and the numbers are yellow, the other is non-selectable and colored blue. The blue ones are 5,5,5,18.

Another thing, when I put the new CPUHS and Fans on the MOBO reset itself the the dang thing was running so cool. But the slightest increase in fsb and it seems to go crazy. Does that make sense? Do I need to start messing with the voltage? I kinda' hate to since I am not too comfortable with what I am doing. The last time I overclocked my previous rig was three years ago, a Barton 2600 mobile on a Abit NF7 and it was a breeze. This seems to be another story.
Thanks again for your help.

The tab w/ two columns (SPD) is just telling you the SPD settings for the memory...not what it is running at. The memory tab shows the actual speed, the FSB;DRAM ratio, and the actual timings you are running at. This is what you need to look at.

When you change the yellow numbers, do you save and exit? And does the overclock fail on the next reboot?

Edit: posting you CPU-Z screenshots will help. Make sure to get the latest version 1.41

The tab w/ two columns (SPD) is just telling you the SPD settings for the memory...not what it is running at. The memory tab shows the actual speed, the FSB;DRAM ratio, and the actual timings you are running at. This is what you need to look at.

When you change the yellow numbers, do you save and exit? And does the overclock fail on the next reboot?

Edit: posting you CPU-Z screenshots will help. Make sure to get the latest version 1.41

Jason,
THanks for your help, first off, I don't know how to save screen shots to a image. So in the meantime, here is what I can tell you. My Memory Speed (SPD) column from Cpuz reads
JEDEC#1: 333mhz,4,5,5,15,20,1.8V
JEDEC#2: 400mhz,5,5,5,18,23,1.8V
EPP #1: 400mhz,4,4,4,12,24,2T,2.2V
EPP #2: 500mhz, 5,5 5 15,30,2T,2.2V

Frequency: 532.0 Mhz
FSB: DRAM 1:2
tCL: 5.0 clocks
tRCD: 7 clocks
tRP: 7 clocks
tRAS: 24 clocks

So what if anything does this tell you other than I don't really know what I'm doing.:confused:

Okay, I figured out the screenshot technique so I will spend the next several minutes getting the shots posted. I see you are on the other side of the country so I will hope to hear from you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Screenshots.

Attachments

• CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 434
  • cache.JPG
    cache.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 432
  • mainboard.JPG
    mainboard.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 433
  • memory.JPG
    memory.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 427
  • SPD.JPG
    SPD.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 440
Well as I suspected I don't really know what the h*#$ I am doing. I got the timings to work out at a 2:3 ratio and they are now running on the 400Mhz and timings look good. The temps actually came down 6C as well.:) Now I'm gonna try and push the CPU a little farther. :eek:

Attachments

• Prime95 running.JPG
    Prime95 running.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 416
  • Prime2.JPG
    Prime2.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 429
Changing your ram timings shouldn't have a thing to do with your CPU temps.

You also have speedstep enabled in the bios. Your first 5 screenshots (HUGE! ACK!) don't have a load going, so obviously when the MB clocks the CPU down, the temps will go down.

Are you manually specifying your ram and core voltages? This combined with C1E and Speedstep will give you wild and inconsistant results. That's a lot of voltage to be running for such a very mild OC.

Those temps are very high for idle.

What HSF did you put on it, and did you use thermal paste (TIM) like AS 5 or is it the pad? If TIM, how much and how did you apply it?

Please take a look at this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Changing your ram timings shouldn't have a thing to do with your CPU temps.

You also have speedstep enabled in the bios. Your first 5 screenshots (HUGE! ACK!) don't have a load going, so obviously when the MB clocks the CPU down, the temps will go down.

Are you manually specifying your ram and core voltages? This combined with C1E and Speedstep will give you wild and inconsistant results. That's a lot of voltage to be running for such a very mild OC.

Those temps are very high for idle.

What HSF did you put on it, and did you use thermal paste (TIM) like AS 5 or is it the pad? If TIM, how much and how did you apply it?

Please take a look at this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Sorry about the oversize pics. As far as the first 5 shots, I was only trying to show the CPuz report. I am inexperienced at this overclocking stuff and a little timid but I have made some progress tonight. To answer your questions. I am using a Cooler Master GeminII with 2 120mm Antec fans over it. I haven't touched the voltages in BIOS. I lapped the CPU and I am using AS5. One rice grain size equivalent and spread very thin with a CC.
What is Speedstep?
I have been running Prime95 in torture test mode for about 15 min. and my temps are running about 66C and it is fairly warm in this room. I'd guess about 82F. I am running 2664Mhz @ 333 bus. 1:1 memory and 4,5,5,15. I would still like to get the temps down abit more. Pushing 70C now. What is considered too high?

I finally got it! Running stable with timings at 4,4,4,12. 2664Mhz (333x8) and I an now lowering Core voltage a little at a time to bring the temps down. At 1.250V I am seeing under 60C at load (Prime95 Blend Test) and stable.

Thanks for those who pointed me in the right direction.

I finally got it! Running stable with timings at 4,4,4,12. 2664Mhz (333x8) and I an now lowering Core voltage a little at a time to bring the temps down. At 1.250V I am seeing under 60C at load (Prime95 Blend Test) and stable.

Thanks for those who pointed me in the right direction.

Did that thread help?

Speedstep and C1E allow the processor to:

1. Lower the mulitplier
2. Lower the voltage
3. Provide more voltage when needed

Motherboards tend to over compensate, so manually specifying is best. I believe that thread recommends upping the core voltage to the max intel recommended, going for your target overclock, then slowly lowering the voltage until the system becomes unstable, then raising it a hair.

I'd consider 8 to 15 hours Prime as stable. Since your ram shouldn't OC'd much if you're running 1:1, do small FFT's.

I wish I wasn't too lazy to remount my Q6600. idle my last core is 32c and by first core is 43-45c. Maybe this weekend.

Did that thread help?

Speedstep and C1E allow the processor to:

1. Lower the mulitplier
2. Lower the voltage
3. Provide more voltage when needed

Motherboards tend to over compensate, so manually specifying is best. I believe that thread recommends upping the core voltage to the max intel recommended, going for your target overclock, then slowly lowering the voltage until the system becomes unstable, then raising it a hair.

I'd consider 8 to 15 hours Prime as stable. Since your ram shouldn't OC'd much if you're running 1:1, do small FFT's.

I wish I wasn't too lazy to remount my Q6600. idle my last core is 32c and by first core is 43-45c. Maybe this weekend.

Yes that thread gave me very good direction. Thank you! I seem stable now (running Prime95 overnight) at 360x8 (2880Mhz) and 1.250 Core voltage. Max temps in the mid sixties at full load. Not too bad considering where I was earlier.
Thanks again,
Dan

Back