• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old comp wont start...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpt>hollywood

o great guru's...please help!

my old reliable amd 3500+, asus a8n-sli, 1gb ram, 2x 6600gt vid cards in sli just stopped working....more details:

i shut it off last night as i always do and this morning it refused to start. i have green lights on the NIC and on the motherboard so i'm thinking it's not the power supply, but then again it won't turn on. the fans won't spin up either. could it be power supply after all? i don't have one to swap out with. FWIW, it's a rosewil 502 ( i think...it's been a while since i built it)

i also swapped out the power and reset switches to see if it was a broken switch. that didn't work either or i wouldn't be writing this:bang head

thanks for any help you guys can offer!

rosewill = POS.

Sounds like that mobo died on you, if the fans aren't spinning. Then again you said the lights on the mobo are still good...

change psu plz.

i should have mentioned the box was working prefectly for 2 1/2 years.

as for rosewil being a POS, that's subjective. the power supply hasn't given me problems until possibly now and at the price i got it i'm still pretty happy. it was good enough to run 2 cards in SLI and all my other components.

that said, what can i check? is there any troubleshooting i can do beyond what i've done already? i dont have spare parts and dont want to buy a new mobo/ ps etc...i'd just as well build a new box unless i can fix this quickly and painlessly.

thanks again!

try running it caseless.

thank you for standing up for rosewill psus too. they're actually pretty nice for a mid range unit. maybe not an uber-clocker but they're not junk.

I doubt many people would consider them nice mid range units. If anything, they are at the low end of the spectrum. If you want a more reliable lesser expensive psu I would opt for a fortron branded psu or something of similar quality.

wel, upon further testing, i found it to be the power supply. still stand by my assessment of rosewill, but i got corsair 620 on this one. i'm probably going to use it in the old box and move it to a new unit when i build one.

thanks for the help guys!:beer:

Back