• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which upgrade would be more valuble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandontw

I have 200 dollars to spend on a computer upgrade... I currently have a Pentium D 820 and a ge-force 7600GS

i want to spend the 200$ on either a core 2 dou processor or a graphics card or 2

this also bring up the question, if i decide on graphics card(s) would 2 8600gt's or 7600gt's SLI'ed be better than one 7900gtx or 7950?

I run vista, i game, autocad, design, render, ect.

Better research whether your motherboard will support a core 2 duo, I don't think it will. Pretty sure that's uses the i955 chipset which means no C2D. Also, it won't support SLI either, so that option is out too, unless you change motherboard.

The good news is you have 2GB of RAM already, that's nice. If you only have $200 to spend and if you play 3D games, then probably a new vid card is your best bet. Newegg has a Sapphire X1950XT for $168 or get a 8600GT if you prefer.

i know ill have to get a new motherboard....

its 975x but it doesnt have c2d support

Better research whether your motherboard will support a core 2 duo, I don't think it will. Pretty sure that's uses the i955 chipset which means no C2D. Also, it won't support SLI either, so that option is out too, unless you change motherboard.

If you only have $200 to spend and if you play 3D games, then probably a new vid card is your best bet. Newegg has a Sapphire X1950XT for $168 or get a 8600GT if you prefer.

is the 8600gt as good as the x1950xt?

I think the way you've framed the question, twin 8600's are your only solution. Just keep in mind that these cards are not well regarded for either their dx9, or dx10 performance.

So you can have a smokin' dx9 machine, or a lukewarm dx10 capable machine.

im open to any other sub -200$ DX10 solutions too, but i just didnt see any other options.

i have a feeling ill end up with dx9 cards still :(

i just feel like since i'm using vista, i should have a dx10 card.

since i already have one 7600gs, what about adding another in SLI? would it even be worth the 70$?

what single card might that setup compare with?

Is the $200 a hard budget? Any possible way you could scrape up a little more to get the 8800GTS for $280? Maybe a little cheaper if you really shop around.

Back