• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new thermal paste = bad temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Salmon91

OKay so i changed the thermal paste between my cpu (amd 3500) and zalman fan. Then i oced and was running at 50-60 at full load and idle dropped under 30. Then i thought those tempretures are a bit high, so i changed the paste again and all these times ive been using arctic silver 5. So after the change my temps went up to like 70 so i went to stock speeds, then i thought thats not right so changed it again then it went from 80-90. I cleaned the cpu with nail paint remover which i shouldnt have done, but it really didnt effect the first time i did it, so now i did it with accetone (recommended by arctic silver) and im still getting high temps (80-90 full load). What should i do??

Go at the Heat Spreader and Heatsink's base with alcohol pads and scrub the hell out of them and then try remounting.

Isn't nail polish remover the same thing as acetone?

Wikipedia said:
The most familiar household use of acetone is as the active ingredient in nail polish remover.

Yes nail polish remover is acetone, but it will often contain othe ingredients or purfumes, becuase of these you generally should not use them. You can use 90% plus isopropyl alcohol, industrial acetone, oe arctic silver makes a cleaner.

Back