• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd Q6600 freezes during Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bagelrain

Registered
Firstly, specs:

Q6600
Vigor Monsoon II
OCZ Reaper DDR2800 4x1Gb 4-4-4-15
1.2KW TT power supply
8800GTX Superclocked

During Prime95, the computer will freeze (cursor, etc).
Does that mean there's not enough voltage going to CPU?
What exactly is it indictive of?
The CPU isn't overheating (getting close though)

If i try upping the voltage, it actually starts failing even quicker. weird.

it's stable up to 1475 (368) but crashes whenever i try to go to 1485 (371)

Hmmm... I think you just have an unstable overclock there... How much volts do you have into the CPU?

I've tried from 1.475 all the way up to 1.60000, and like i said, the more voltage i put in, surprisingly the faster it crashes

Okay, put the cpu voltage back to stock and try and upping your RAM and MCH voltages... Loooosen your memory timings also.

the memory timings are loosened, all the voltages are up, and it wont post with stock cpu voltage

Hmm.. Im stumped! Maybe you just have a bad chiP, or bad RAM? You should also get some expert advice from someone else in case I am wrong.

Mine was doing the same thing. I just bumped up the VTT and MCh and lowered the Vcore and I'm sitting here running stability tests looking good.

Bring those up a few notches and see if you can get stable, then start lowering back down one at a time. That's what I'm doing. Seems to be working pretty good, but I'm just a noob at this.

My mobo is the evga 680i.

Here are my other voltages:
Memory: 2.200v
FSB: 1.5v
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.500v
nForce SPP: 1.500v
nForce MCP: 1.675v
Auxiliary: 1.700v

What is VTT and MCh?

Back