• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is is possible to run a computer using a 1gb and 512mb stick of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, the sticks may not work nicely together. If they had the same timings and same rated speed, they should work.

Otherwise it will run at the slowest stick's speed and timings. Some may not even post.

no dualchannel. But yeah, if one is DDR 400 and one is DDR 533 then the ram will run at 400 MHz

It's definitely worth doing. 1.5GB at 400MHz would give you better performance than 1GB at 533MHz. What are the two sticks you're contemplating doing this with?

It's definitely worth doing. 1.5GB at 400MHz would give you better performance than 1GB at 533MHz.
Not true. He needs to monitor in task manager his ram use. If he only uses 1 GB and that stick is faster than the other...that is the faster option.

Do I need to worry about timings(latency,etc.) and I haven't been able to find if newegg will take back opened ram?

Do I need to worry about timings(latency,etc.) and I haven't been able to find if newegg will take back opened ram?
Well, it is the same issue as speed, it will run at the loosest timings, if you have 2-2-2-8 and 3-4-3-6, it would run at 3-4-3-8. ;)

Back