Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Robert Jordan RIP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 09-17-07, 08:53 AM Thread Starter   #1
Roofles

Robert Jordan RIP

I was scrolling through digg today and I came across this headline

"Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time author, dies"

OH ****!

I started reading his books but only really through the second one. And I thought to myself, oh my god is the series done?! As I knew many of my friends were huge fans of it. (this was a common concern among all those on digg) but it appears that he was dictating many of the plotlines and things to his wife/children so that they can finish the book.

I just started reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind as well and I have noticed what some people are saying about the similarities between it and the WoT series. But really in any "epic fantasy" there are going to be some parrallels. I must admit though I am gripped more by Goodkind than Jordan (from what I remember of the books) but I still intend to read the series.

And lastly, Herbert, Jordan, both gone before they could finish their epic! I think we need to teach these guys to write shorter books!

Peace, I'm sure he'll be missed.

one of the links http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90 digg broke it though.

Tuniq Tower 120 : Antec P182
Running: Windows 7 RC and Fedora 10 (PREEMPT_RT)

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics
Roofles is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 09:30 AM   #2
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Oh **** indeed.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 09:47 AM   #3
>HyperlogiK<

I've never been a huge fan of his brand of fantasy, but an awful lot of notable sc-fi and fantasy authors seem to have been dying in the past year or two.

Core i7 950 @ 4Ghz, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 6870 CF, Xonar D2X, 12GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Bigfoot 2100, Agility 3 120GB, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Corsair HX1000w, Cambridge Audio A500 and Acoustic Research speakers (Main PC)
Alienware M11x, C2D SU 7300, Geforce 335M, Corsair Force 40GB (Laptop)
Opteron 175, DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D, Radeon x850 XT PE, 4GB BH-5, OCZ Petrol 64GB, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 2x TerraTec PHASE 22, Enermax Liberty ELT500, Yamaha A-S300 and Mordaunt Short Aviano speakers (Music PC)
Pentium D 920, Gigabyte 965P-S3, Geforce 210, 2GB Elpida DDR2, TerraTec PHASE 22, ASUS DVB-T (HTPC)
Dual P3 866Mhz, Intel 440LX Board, 1.8GB PC133Mhz, 2x Voodoo 2 12MB, Turtle Beach FIJI (Retro Gaming Machine)

Heatware
>HyperlogiK< is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 10:13 AM   #4
ManOman

10 Year Badge

I gave up on Wheel of Time about a third of the way through book six. I quite enjoyed his style of writing, but just couldn't stand that the plot was going absolutely nowhere and the only thing anybody was ever really doing was whining...constantly.
That said however, I feel that the world of sci-fi/fantasy has lost one of it's most well loved writers of this generation. God bless and my most heartfelt condolences to the family.

BFG 9600 GT 512mb
Windows XP Professional SP2

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it-Aristotle
ManOman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 11:38 AM   #5
nahmus

damn damn damn. I was hoping he would get better and finish it up. Was waiting for the next installment. I wonder if the series will just end or if his family will get a writer to come in and finish it up.

Old 09-17-07, 11:42 AM Thread Starter   #6
Roofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahmus View Post
damn damn damn. I was hoping he would get better and finish it up. Was waiting for the next installment. I wonder if the series will just end or if his family will get a writer to come in and finish it up.
From what I saw in all the articles he left his family with all that was required to finish the book. I believe it relies on his wife now. I would remain optimistic considering if he didn't want it to be finished he would have just kept it to himself.

Tuniq Tower 120 : Antec P182
Running: Windows 7 RC and Fedora 10 (PREEMPT_RT)

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics
Roofles is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 11:42 AM   #7
rainless
Old Member

Ohhh THAT Robert Jordan.

I've never read any of his stuff, but I do have one of his books. A friend gave it to me as a going away present and I've never read it because I'm not into the whole sci-fi fantasy thing at all.

My friend will be very sad though. Personally I always assume that the authors of ANY book I own (including myself) are already dead.

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
rainless is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 11:47 AM   #8
Tyranos

10 Year Badge

Damnit! Tarmon Gaidon still needs to happen!

RIP.

Old 09-17-07, 12:02 PM   #9
MRD

10 Year Badge

That's awful. I got up to book 9, but I've been stuck there. He dragged toward the end a lot. I still wish he had been able to finish, both as a matter of curiosity over what happens and because it would have been nice to see him finish his life's work before dying.
MRD is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 04:15 PM   #10
Komitet

Crazy, I'm on book six, for my fourth time reading the series, began reading these about 8 years ago, I was also never into the sci-fi spectrum but his writing just keeps you turning page after page, he'll be missed I'm sure in circles larger than we can imagine.

Old 09-18-07, 01:38 AM   #11
shard

Big OH ****.

Wow, this really sucks, for his family, fans, and his series. Wow, just wow.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-18-07, 07:36 AM   #12
sulretal

damn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.