• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slot1 backplate & Alpha P3125?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surfinguru

I was sittin here having lunch doin some browsing and was wondering if anyone else who is using a PIII slot1 cpu with an Alpha P3125 has dealt with the back plastic cover of the chip. I took mine off and carefully cutout/removed the entire recessed area where the logo and that neat little sticker is. (Looks like a holographic representation of the chip itself.) I did it with the hopes that it would improve airflow over the back of the chip.
So to the point:
1) Has anyone done the same thing?
2) Is anyone using the Alpha w/o the back plastic cover? If so, how did you secure the hsf?

Last edited:
1) Has anyone done the same thing?
Yes. I didn't really notice any major improvements, though

2) Is anyone using the Alpha w/o the back plastic cover? If so, how did you secure the hsf?
Yes to this as well. What I did was use a JigSaw to cut out the standoffs. Since you've already taken the cover off, you should know what I'm talking about. Here's a picture. The boxed area is what I kept

Yeah, can't say it helped a whole lot. :( Oh well. Thanks Cow. If you're running with just the standoff's and not seeing much of a difference, I think I'll just leave it the way it is....unless anyone else has additional input on the subject?

I ask if you remove the back how are you suppose to lock the acutal heatsink since the black back cover thing adds like an inch or two ..

Without that my Gorb wouldn't lock.

tsunami, if you look at the attached pictures, both Cow and I have kept the portion of the cover that has the plastic standoffs. These provide the proper spacing for the hsf to be securely fastened.
However, I would be interested to know if anyone has a hsf mounted to a slot1 cpu w/o the plastic cover and how it was accomplished. As always, pictures tell a 1,000 words...

surfinguru said:
tsunami, if you look at the attached pictures, both Cow and I have kept the portion of the cover that has the plastic standoffs. These provide the proper spacing for the hsf to be securely fastened.
However, I would be interested to know if anyone has a hsf mounted to a slot1 cpu w/o the plastic cover and how it was accomplished. As always, pictures tell a 1,000 words...

It can probably be possible if they have some tools at home since there are those big metal stick coming out to go through there right and then there's a lock.

At the end of those metal sticks they usually have a special cut to lock into the lock so if you can grind into the metal and mod it like that its most likely possible although it might be touching some pins on the back of the slot and could kill the whole thing.

You might want to try active cooling. Maybe you can put a small fan blowing air on it just to see if it'll get you anymore

I just completed installation of an Alpha P3125 on my P3 550. Removed the plastic housing as suggested in a Tech Zone article which recommended the use of spacers and "H" bar (that comes with the Alpha) for the screws that secured the HS. The article suggests a potential 4 C improvement. My temps have [only] dropped about 3 C from stock setup to the Alpha without the housing. I'm thinking that the Alpha is owed all the credit, not the housing removal.

There's no real good way to insure a proper lock though. There is a spacer on the HS on one side, but once you take off the housing, there's nothing to grab onto.

Back