• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to uninstall windows video driver(s) before installing Forceware & RivaTuner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Need to uninstall windows video driver(s) before installing Forceware & RivaTuner?

I have a MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 vid card in Vista HP 32-bit w/ 1 GB RAM. In my defense it is almost the best of the 5 series, except the 5950Ultra, so comparable to mid 6 or 7 series...?

I have downloaded the latest right Forceware and RivaTuner. Before I install those in that order do I need to uninstall the 3 drivers that windows installed with this video card which included the Windows Update procedure. I have not previously installed anything else to do with video drivers, and it is identified correctly, with no errors. The install instructions don't say specifically what do with std. drivers, just uninstall previous NVIDIA drivers. There is a provider: nvidia in properties for these 3 drivers I now have, but theres also a WDDM in the 1st of a huge list of details. If I did "[uninstall]" or other those, can I even see anything on my screen to work? The [Roll Back Driver] is not an available option. I can [Update Driver], [Disable (Device)], or [Uninstall] driver, available only here in device manager I do believe. Then, unless I would use the [Update Driver] I would just run the .exe to install the nvidia Forceware driver.

The 3 current (win installed) vid drivers are:
c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
c:\Windows\system32\nvapi.dll
c:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

btw, the full associated Forceware readme is dead in the water for days. I'm learning Vista.

Last edited:
If the drivers that are presently installed are the natively installed Vista driverset, then NO... you don't need to uninstall those before updating to the latest drivers. If the drivers that are currently installed were installed by WU, then YES... those drivers will need to be uninstalled first. Uninstall your present drivers using Control Panel--> Programs and Features, reboot, then install the latest driverset. Don't use WU to update or install drivers, instead download the drivers from the manufacturer's website... like nVidia for example.

I knew you'd say something like that. There is no listing of anything video using that route, so I assume I can proceed directly to the nv setup .exe without doing anything first. Is there another way to concur first?
thx

I just want the best drivers and the ability to oc my gpu and vid ram. I need no more tweaking. Do I need/should I add anything to the list, and in what order. I don't think I need coolbits, what about nvtweak or ntune, etc. I have just forgotten in the last few years. I'm new to Vista. And I'm gonna hafta do it all again soon for some better hw too.

Last edited:
This is from memory, so bear with me. Just to verify... Control Panel--> Programs | Click "View Installed Updates" in the Task Panel ( in the column on the LH side ), and check to make sure WU didn't update your VC drivers. If so it will look something like this...
Code:
The following Windows Updates downloaded and installed on 8/15...

- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
I believe the latest drivers for the FX series of cards are the 96.85's ...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85_2.html

... and the best OC'ing utility for Vista x86 is RivaTuner.

Last edited:
good thing you mentioned that but no nothing. So ya I got 96.85 and RT2.03. So I install both: 96.85 first, then 2.03, correct? I seem to remember nvtweak,maybe even coolbits or other, but I don't mind looking at stuff I just generally don't need it. Any comment on nvtweak. I think the other coolbits, and ntune etc. aren't for me, but nvtweak, hmm. I think that would install in the middle, no?

As long as the default, native Vista x86 nVidia driverset is installed, there's no need to boot into Safe Mode to manually uninstall or rename drivers. The newest nVidia drivers you downloaded can be installed directly over the top of the currently installed drivers, from within Windows ( which is what WU does ). If on the other hand WU updated the drivers for you, then those will need to be uninstalled from the "View Installed Updates" section of Programs and Features.

I wish I could take a course...
Ha! You are!
You might want to look into driverCleaner. Nvidia drivers leave alot of "junk" behind when you uninstall them or install new ones on top of them.
DriverCleaner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

And yes, if you uninstall the existing video driver you will still have video. The problem is that Vista will try to reinstall it's defult drivers on the next boot. You have to stop that and install the driver you downloaded from Nvidia.

As for riva tuner, or any tweaking program, just plop it on. You may want to start out with coolbits though. It's pretty easy to use. Riva tuner, ATITool, NvTweak etc. can be daunting. And when you "break" something with them it can be hard to fix.

You're starting down a slipery slope...get ready to take a few tumbles......

ya, Vista aggravated. Unforyunately i have to do everything again for each piece of hw!!! I am sure I did everything before at one time, just can't remember. I think Force>RT w/ nvtweak between b/c I think it adds some tabs or something. I'll have to review it. I just need to oc my gpu clock and vid ram, and make sure fans are keeping it cool (probly by looking at the blades if spinning). The MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 I don't think has temp monitoring! That oc does everything to playability!! and that was in XP!! I do have twice the ram now though, from 512MB (2) ocz EL4200 to 1GB (added 2) ocz pc-3200 Plat. rev.1 (oc dream).

btw, while on the topic if I re-install everything incl os later do I need to break up and/or re-format my 2 Raptor SAT150's in RAID0, poss. even incl. CTRL+I ICH5R utility, before chossing those again as the install HDD(s)? After backin up and running over everything several times.

Last edited:
Back