• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to upgrade with the onset of COD:4 and Crysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masakabassist

Ok so as the title suggests im wondering what would be best to upgrade with the onset of games such as Call Of Duty 4 and Crysis. I would like to be able to play both of these games at a reasonable resolution and FPS. I only have a 17" monitor and it can handle 1280X1024 max.

I would assume that im going to need at least 2GB of RAM so i'm hoping to upgrade that when I next get paid :) . Looking at Crucial's Ballistix at the moment but don't know wether to stick with Corsair.

The other thing im thinking about is my graphics card. Currently im running a 7900GTOC and am wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to an 8xxx series or go SLi with the 7900GTOC. I've read lots of reports around here that SLi really is not what it's cracked up to be. Any advice would be appreciated.

My other hardware is listed in my sig.

Thanks very much :)

The RAM will almost be required to run it decently. Both brands are very good.

No to the 7900 SLi. A single 8800 will beat it out no problem.

Grats on the stars Thideras and dam that was a quick response!!

OK so the SLi has been ruled out. Now to choose a graphics card. I'm really not looking to spend a huge ammount if I don't have to as i'm hoping to join the airforce soon.

If I run PC6400 instead of PC5300 with my CPU would it make much of a difference? More to the point would it be compatible? Sorry for the noob question. :confused:

Last edited:
I can't answer your last RAM question because I have no experience yet with DDR2. However... definitely make the switch to a good dual-channel 2-gig setup. You'll notice a snappier computer even in desktop/surfing/music applications. DDR2 is so cheap right now that you may as well upgrade. I'd definitely go with a 8800GTS 320mb, but you'll need to overclock that 4200 to feed in. I've had this Opty as high as 3.1ghz for a 3dMark06 trial run and the 8800 was still waiting on my CPU!

Also, your monitor could use an upgrade. :)

Also, your monitor could use an upgrade. :)

I know, I think il put in a request for Christmas ;)

I currently have my X2 running at 2690Mhz and thats without pushing it. It's comfortable at that speed at the moment and i've not had time recently to overclock it further :eh?:

With the 8800 would I have to buy a new PSU? I'm hoping not because i'm trying to keep this upgrade as cheap as possible...in other words...to the classies!!! :)

as far as crucial vs corsair ram: they're both great brands. i think i've heard of a problem every so often with corsair. crucial still has a spotless record afaik.

Definetly go for 2 x (1gb) ram sticks. The Crucial ballistix are great. For the graphics card, i would go with an 8800gts, either 320 or 640mb. Depends what resolution you wanna play at. For 19 inch and below, the 320 will be fine. Anything higher and you will want the 640mb. Its only about $100 more, so it isn't too bad. You'll be all set to play those games.

The Ballistix it is then. I think im going to have to wait on the 8800 until prices come down a bit as funds are running low at the moment :/

Thanks for the input guys :)

Thread Ressurection!!

So after taking the advice of you guys I decided to by another gigabyte of RAM, 2X512mb to be precise. Now after doing this im wondering what I should ask for as a christmas present. I'm thinking an 8800, but is there something due out soon or any price drops worth waiting for?

Thread Ressurection!!

So after taking the advice of you guys I decided to by another gigabyte of RAM, 2X512mb to be precise. Now after doing this im wondering what I should ask for as a christmas present. I'm thinking an 8800, but is there something due out soon or any price drops worth waiting for?

Ask for an 8800GT, best price / performance atm. Or possibly ATI's 3870, but seeing as you wouldn't be paying for it anyways, go with the 8800 GT! :D

Thread Ressurection!!

8800gt, no question ;)

Back