• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning up FSB affects what else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Church of Virus

Running on the Asus Crosshair..
Obviously overclocking the FSB affects how the cpu runs, but also it overclocks the memory, and HTT..

It seems overclocking the cpu also overclocks the NB to SB, SB to NB, NB to CPU.. what else is overclocked when the cpu is overclocked?

Reason for asking, is these other things that are affected by overclocking the cpu would seem to be needed to be underclocked to gain maximum cpu overclock.. yeah..

Thanks.

Last edited:
i personally thought the nb to sb was the HT link?

just make sure that this doesnt go too high, on my foxconn when i OCd this went up to like 1200mhz, and when i was moving data from hard drive to hard drive, it was corrupting everything. all my downloads were lost. i had to knock the multiplier from 5 to 4 and it was fine.

someone else will know more than me and have more info here though

Athlons and Phenoms have no FSB, HTT is used to communicate with the mobo.
You can select a multi for HT speed and also for memory to keep them close to the original speed but what for ? Recent mobos can take 1500 HT and rams can go over 1G, which benefits the performance.

New mobos can also set pci speeds so corrupting data isn't an issue anymore, yea some via mobos didn't lock pci speeds and if you pushed them a bit then HDDs crapped out.

If it's stable then use it if not find a stable speed and setting.

THE "FSB" is used for everything on an AMD machine. The CPU, RAM, and HT link are all based on the 200 MHz stock "FSB" and turning that up increases all of them. Well, in truth RAM speed is based on CPU speed but, obviously, if the CPU speed increases with the FSB so will the RAM.

Good motherboards will have multipliers for the CPU and HT link so you can turn them down if needed and a RAM divider so you can turn RAM speed down, if needed, while still increasing the "FSB". As Kuroimaho stated, some VIA chipsets have a PCI multiplier to control, too. I still haven't figured out why Via doesn't just lock that thing down ... :-/

..and a RAM divider so you can turn RAM speed down

Is this the technical name for this? I was wondering if there was something like this, I have an ASUS Crosshair in case the labeling is different.

Is this the technical name for this? I was wondering if there was something like this, I have an ASUS Crosshair in case the labeling is different.
On my ASUS board it's call the "MemClock Value". Todays boards show them as MHz - 100, 133, 166, 200 or maybe 200, 266, 333, 400, etc, - but they're still parts of 200 MHz or 400 MHz (being the "baseline" clock speed) so 100/200 = 1:2, 166/200 = 5:6, and so on ...

Back