• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock but shows 6x and slow speed? (This is the fix)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treatmentx

This is a feature in your BIOS that you must turn off. It's a protection / power saving feature Intel has provided in their chips.

Example : Your FSB is 1600 (or 400QDR), and you set your Multi at 9x in your bios, but when you use CPU-Z it shows up as 2400 at 6x Multi. If this happens to you, then ....

Turn off Speedstep / C1E / EIST in your BIOS, and this problem will disappear 99% of the time.
(While you're at it, turn off other features as well, like Virtualization if you're not using it, etc etc. Provides some cooling gain, supposedly)
AFTER you have found your stable overclock, you can turn these power savings feature back on if you wish to conserve power when your system is idle.

If it doesn't, then post your mobo, bios, cpu, voltages, temps. Everyone will be glad to help, let's just solve the most common mistake first. :beer:

Disable both C1E and Speedstep (sometimes called EIST)
biosselectspeedstepfe4.jpg

Last edited:
STICKY PLEASE

But I would add that if stable, then Speedstep and C1E should be left enabled since they will help keep your room cooler and having cooler ambient will ultimately allow for better cpu cooling.

I figure if this was on the front page, with a title like this, it would've detered most of the questions. I think new people are lazy to click on the "condensed" stickies. I didn't mind it so much, except I saw 3 threads that popped up within hours of each other...

Anyway, with a thread title like this, hopefully it'll resolve most. =)

This is actually in the overclocking sticky already - I guess some people haven't bothered to read it. Hence the continual q's about it.

Imo, its worth sticky too, but this thread needs a really good eyecatching thread's title to be effective.

It would be great as well if the OP put some examples of the BIOS screenies from few popular mobos on how to do that.

To all concerning members, a contribution on your BIOS screen on how to do that will be really helpfull and my suggestion is to send it to the OP for him to put those screen shots at the 1st post as a example.

My 0.02

This is actually in the overclocking sticky already - I guess some people haven't bothered to read it. Hence the continual q's about it.

It is but it is buried in there and I don't blame the newbies for not wanting to read through pages and pages for a simple question that can be answered in a single sentence. This is asked often enough that I think it deserves it's own sticky with a descriptive name as bing said.

downloaded and edited an image, hopefully this will put a stop to 99% of it all

Is this really something that needs to be "fixed"? Seems like it's just people not understanding what's going on.

Is this really something that needs to be "fixed"? Seems like it's just people not understanding what's going on.

No, you're right. It's not "broken" per say, but I worded it so that when less overclocking experienced people browse the forums it would easily stand out to them.

(and by me responding to your post, it rebumps it. *high 5* hehe)

Added a picture, hopefully clears up everything.

*bump*

New week, and someone already started another thread w/ the 6x-9x issue again.

Back