• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATT sucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

megadeath900

Disabled
So I bought the 6mb Elite internet package from ATT. I bought the D Link Gaming Router 4300. But I keep getting disconnected from the internet and all of the lights that are normally solid green when everything is running fine, go blinking red on the modem. I called ATT about a hundred times and now they say its my router. But the thing is, everything was working fine for about the first 2 weeks I had the new ATT DSL set up. They tell me its the router. I don't think it is because why would everything have worked and not now work? Can anyone help me out?

P.S. ATT DSL sucks. Do not ever use it!

Umm i would suggest removing flaming that. anyway, i was fixing a customers pc and i they got the same error as your are discribing. I told them to swtich to cable and they have been satisfied since. I personally don't like ATT support because they did little to help my client resolve her issue.

Perhaps you should do a direct connect to the router, if it still drops then you know its on there end for sure. Perhaps it could also be your nic's try another machine. (just to be safe)

Umm i would suggest removing flaming that. anyway, i was fixing a customers pc and i they got the same error as your are discribing. I told them to swtich to cable and they have been satisfied since. I personally don't like ATT support because they did little to help my client resolve her issue.

Perhaps you should do a direct connect to the router, if it still drops then you know its on there end for sure. Perhaps it could also be your nic's try another machine. (just to be safe)

Well heres the thing. I most often get disconnected when me and a buddy are playing together in a online css server here. And yes, I still get disconnected when not using the router, just the modem. I have tried a nic card, and both onboard nics. No help. I switched from Charter cable because of the crappy service they gave me and I would get randomly disconnected for hours with Charter here around the St Louis area. I have a friend with the same att package and router as me and he has no problems at all with anything. It is almost impossible for me to get a decent internet connection. The internet hates me I guess :(.

Well, when I had ATT (Bellsouth at the time) it was pretty bad, along the lines of having to reset the modem every 20 minutes. I now have Charter, which isn't much better, but I've reset my modem three times since I got their service two years ago. Depending on where you live, I would personally avoid Ma Bell like the plague, but if it's your best choice, keep your modem ventilated and make sure your PPPoE settings are correct, if they still use that after the buyout.
edit: I have the same router as you, and IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. That thing is built solid as a rock.

All internet companies train their personnel to fire off the "its your router" conclusion rather quickly. Most are just taught how to troubleshoot a certain way. Same with the installers...most don't know squat about computers and are there to install and get their paycheck.

It took me over a month to resolve an issue with comcast about my internet being extremely slow if not disconnected. First they blamed the router, technician came here and claimed to fix the problem, then the next changed the COAX cable and claimed it was fixed and the next technician...it was actually working when he was here. Then instead of sending their 4th (which was to be a supervisor level guy who never showed up) they called me and said they found a problem on their end and said it was fixed. It didnt actually come up till an hour after that phone call.

But......what can ya do? Its cheaper to train them with as little resolutions as possible. "Reset modem, its your router, reset modem again, appointment for technician in 3 days"

Just curious as to what activities you are performing when the router locks up.

At first it was just me and my friend playing DOTA. Then it was CSS. Then it was just me palying css. Now its just me and my friend surfing the web here. ANd its happening more and more frequently. Like every 15 minutes or so we get disconnected.

Back