• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Anyone NOT Use AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FLESHnBLOOD

I am going to buy some new thermal compound tomorrow and was wondering if i should get some Thermalright Chill Factor or Arctic Cooling MX-2 instead of AS5?

ps. i dont know about the U.S. but in AUS Thermalright Chill Factor as NOT what comes with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. it only has Thermalright Thermal Paste with it!

I haven't used AS5 in quite a while. I use Ceramique. Down side to it is when pulling off the sink, the cpu is stuck with the sink and you wind up yanking both the sink and cpu from the socket :mad:

Found out using a hairdryer to warm up the sink solved that problem :)

Any silver thermal grease is conductive, so be sure you clean evrything off including what you get on your fingers. if it makes contact with anything you'll be SOL.

I haven't used AS5 in quite a while. I use Ceramique. Down side to it is when pulling off the sink, the cpu is stuck with the sink and you wind up yanking both the sink and cpu from the socket :mad:

Any silver thermal grease is conductive, so be sure you clean evrything off including what you get on your fingers. if it makes contact with anything you'll be SOL.

I know the feeling! I did the same a few times on s478. I used a lighter after that to heat the HSF to get the proc off...

I am about to order Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound - I use a lot when I troubleshoot PC's at work, and frankly the celerons at stock speeds need nothing more than a swift lick on the HSF and stick! Just like a postage stamp

AS5 is sooo overrated! I bought some and I put some on my Tr U 120 E, and it increased temps like 4c higher. Yes, I applyed the AS5 correct. So I switched back to the thermalright paste and the 4c dropped. Chill Factro is better imo...or Ceramique.

You always can prime for 20 mintues before you remove the heatsink =)

Anyway, just go with what ever is cheaper. there all pretty much the same.

AS5 is sooo overrated! I bought some and I put some on my Tr U 120 E, and it increased temps like 4c higher. Yes, I applyed the AS5 correct. So I switched back to the thermalright paste and the 4c dropped. Chill Factro is better imo...or Ceramique.

You're doing it wrong. Was this after the break-in period? TBH unless you do some no name, unknown white good in a packet vs AS5, you may not notice a HUGE difference either way. I use the Zalman goo, AS5, and a few other TIMs that I have handy and none of my rigs have blown up due to overheating.

Do I prefer using AS5? Yes
Do I REQUIRE AS5? No

I went to MX-2. Same performance as AS5 but no breakin period. I like that.

Do I prefer AS5? No, ceramique is easier to apply and clean, and doesnt have a burn in period.

Do I use AS5? Yes, I've had the same 3.5g tube for a year now, it's lasted dozens of waterblock/heatsink installs/reseats. I'll probably go with something different when it runs out.

You're doing it wrong. Was this after the break-in period? TBH unless you do some no name, unknown white good in a packet vs AS5, you may not notice a HUGE difference either way. I use the Zalman goo, AS5, and a few other TIMs that I have handy and none of my rigs have blown up due to overheating.

Do I prefer using AS5? Yes
Do I REQUIRE AS5? No

Yeah it was after the beak in period.

I only use AS5 on certain things like a north bridge core (transistors around are covered by tape). I use ceramique or arctic alumina on everything else.

Thanks for all the input. i might give the Chill Factor a try. just because not many people seem to use it and i'm curious. i still have a little bit of AS5 so if i dont like the CF i can always go back. wont be able to make a straight out comparison though because i will also be laping my TR U120E, so hopefully the temps will be going down anyway.

Back