• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp or perm)free w/ Vista? gadget news ticker/wallpaper/temp feeds, ms ngs, homepage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

temp or perm)free w/ Vista? gadget news ticker/wallpaper/temp feeds, ms ngs, homepage

after Vista installed I was already connected to a webpage sympatico.msn.ca as a homepage, and I didn't need to config any isp info, except newsgroups. Will that expire and will I need to config my real isp info? I have newsfeeds.com and use Newsbin Pro. I am wondering if i got a free month (or any time limited) from microsoft when I installed Vista. I am not sure if using the homepage link that came pre-installed with Vista install
http://sympatico.msn.ca/?lang=en-CA
will expire, or even if you usually need subscription to recieve it. I just haven't entered my own homepage from the very commonly used rogers hi-speed internet provider because I wanted to see what this is like.

Q> will the Vista installed homepage expire? Is it a site or a provider?

Thats really irrelevant, because I'll enter my regular isp homepage link soon anyway. But I am interested if I will continue to recieve these other things, and if there they are time limited. The other things I am talking about are :

Q>Are these time limited, or fee(d) dependant?

a)the news ticker sidebar gadget which gives you a summary on first click, and full story in full IE window from msnbc.msn.com or microsoft.com, and poss. more?
b)the weather sidebar gadget, an On Line Real Time temp reading, which is nice
c)slideshow sidebar gadget. I don't know if this is OLRT, but its an easy way to change your background with nice pic options.

Q> Free (time limited/fee(d) dependant) ms newsgroups?

I use newsgroups, and pay for sw and a dedicated feed. Using windows mail program, under microsoft communities provider there are a lot (hundreds) of available newsgroups starting with microsoft.public.* I could get them with my newsfeeds provider and sw, but are these groups available for free, forever. Or is this just (another?) trial period. All of my other newsgroups are uinder the newfeeds caption which needs seperate setting up.

Q> fee(d) worth maintaining?

They're baiting us, kinda like going to mars. I haven't looked at all the gadgets to see what I can get/may be missing temp or perm soon. Theres currency, stocks, which have to be OLRT not to mention more. Theres even gallery.microsoft.com. Any tauts?

Back