• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Steam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I recently decided to install Half Life 2 and consequently steam on my computer. I installed to my C Drive and everything was working fine. I disabled the Steam service in msconfig (not sure if that's relevant) to stop it starting automatically. I then later decided I wanted to install everything on a different drive. So I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and everything else via Add/Remove. When uninstalling I first removed Steam, then HL2 Episode 1. HL2, Counterstrike, and HL2 Deathmatch remained in the program list. When I clicked to uninstall I was told they had already been so. So the entries were removed from the list. Then restarted, and deleted the remaining Steam folder in program files.

Then reinstalled to my D drive. Unfortunately Steam no longer works. Claiming it is unable to connect to the Steam network. After reinstallation I noticed in msconfig that the steam service was still disabled, so I re-enabled it made no difference unfortunately.

My house mate using the same internet connection is able to connect fine so I'm fairly confident its a problem with my PC. Is there any way to remove anything and everything Steam related from my Comp so I can do a fresh install?

Using Vista Home Premium, fully updated. Windows Firewall is on.

perhaos windows firewall is blocking it from connection? though it sound slike it may be something more.

i could just redirect you to another site but as this is the ocforums i will attempt to help you since that is the general nature of this forum.

windows firewall may the be issue, but when you had it installed on your C drive did you actually connect successfully to steam before deciding to put it on your D? you may also need to delete your clientregistry.blob in the steam folder(back it up if you are paranoid), that may also be messing steam up

Back