Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

is my power supply on its way out??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 12:01 PM Thread Starter   #1
daunsociable

is my power supply on its way out??

i have a Antec 350 watt SmartPower PSU and its been acting up for awhile. its fine when the computer is running, but if i shut it down for whatever reason, and try to turn it back on(immediately, or after an amount of time) it powers up for a second and the shuts off repeatedly, so its like on, off..., on, off...on, off...
like that untill it finally turns on, and after it turns on it has no problems at all. im running a P4 northwood, nvidia FX5900 ultra, 1WD caviar 120GB hard drive, a DVD burner, 1 80mm generic fan, and a 120mm scythe flex fan, or whatever its called

if you guys want i can post a video later on
daunsociable is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-07, 02:35 PM   #2
RollingThunder
Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins
Premium Member #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daunsociable View Post
i have a Antec 350 watt SmartPower PSU and its been acting up for awhile. its fine when the computer is running, but if i shut it down for whatever reason, and try to turn it back on(immediately, or after an amount of time) it powers up for a second and the shuts off repeatedly, so its like on, off..., on, off...on, off...
like that untill it finally turns on, and after it turns on it has no problems at all. im running a P4 northwood, nvidia FX5900 ultra, 1WD caviar 120GB hard drive, a DVD burner, 1 80mm generic fan, and a 120mm scythe flex fan, or whatever its called

Check these threads here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...52&postcount=1

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=496353

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/pic002.htm

See if you can get a good look at your capacitors to see if they are bulged or leaking. The Antec SP and TP series have a bad reputation for that and it's the first place to look with the symptoms you are having.

ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2007 1600x1200
2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
Vista 64.............................XP Pro
Experience teaches only the teachable.
RollingThunder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-07, 06:04 PM   #3
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

If you can't open the casing to look at them, how else can you tell you have bad capacitors? Do they sing opera (squeal) like some MSI motherboards I had in the past?
aja is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-07, 06:06 PM   #4
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daunsociable View Post

HAHA we believe you

You might also want to check your RAM and motherboard.

I would do a BIOS reset and update if you can, as well as a memtest.

Make sure no fans or other wires are touching the case. Those three-pin adapters are devils
aja is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-07, 08:01 PM   #5
RollingThunder
Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins
Premium Member #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja View Post
If you can't open the casing to look at them, how else can you tell you have bad capacitors? Do they sing opera (squeal) like some MSI motherboards I had in the past?

Aja,

Some of the capacitors in question are on the outside back edge of these Antecs. They are right there, purple in color. Using a good light or turning your case upside down (if you have a tower with top mount power supply) and sliding the power supply out the side will show them. You normally don't have to unplug anything to do this. If they are bulged or leaking, there is no use checking anything else, it's done for.

ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2007 1600x1200
2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
Vista 64.............................XP Pro
Experience teaches only the teachable.
RollingThunder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-07, 01:25 AM   #6
stool

10 Year Badge

Sad state of affairs...Antec used to always have quality PSU's, but that has changed.

If you want to do self-diagnosis, it often involves violating warranties(which I am NOT recommending). From what you provided, it doesn't appear that aside from the P4 you have terribly bad power drains, but there are a world of things your problem could be. Try RollingThunders suggestion as a first step, and go from there. This stuff isn't always easy.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices