• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista64 - Blue Screen of Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confusedxx

Registered
I thought the blue screen of death disappeared a long time ago with Windows XP, but it is back thanks to Vista 64 Ultimate.

Nearly every day, I get a blue screen where physical memory is being dumped to the harddrive. I then have to manually reboot and windows tries searching for an error - like always that task is fruitless because it never returns a solution.

The error I get is someone along the lines of: ICQ_EQUAL_XXXXX_XXX_XX

Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Hardware:
E6750 Duo Core CPU
2 GB Ram
8800 GTX
2 RAID 0 HDD
Creative Labs X-fi Gamer

Software
Wow
MS Office Stuff
IE, FireFox,
Adobe Photoshop CS2
etc.

Drivers
Let me know which driver it could be and I will check version - I updated to the new Nvidia Graphics drivers yesterday and still get the same problem. :bang head

hi'
I heard that there were some issues with the xfi blaster sound card ...
might be that, take it off and try the onbord sound to check this ;)

also, which mobo?

i686

The error I get is someone along the lines of: ICQ_EQUAL_XXXXX_XXX_XX
Knowing the exact error would be helpful. Check the Event Viewer logs (Start | Type event viewer in the Start Search field | Click on Event Viewer under 'Programs') for any critical errors. When you open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs - under "Windows Logs" (or look under "Summary of Administrative Events--> Event Type--> Critical)... double click the specific error so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy-->Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

Ok under Custom Views -> Administrative Events I see 2 events that happened last night , but it does not say much:

22/09/2007 22:15:28 Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown.

22/09/2007 22:15:27 The previous system shutdown at 22:13:28 on 22.09.2007 was unexpected.

Those are the only errors and the PC crashed at 22:15 yesterday evening. Thre are a few warnings in the log, but they are about an hour before the crash.
Next time it happens I will have to write it all down. It seems to happen when I play WOW.

I had this same error in XP with bad X-Fi drivers.

Are they all the way updated?

I will have to check the Creative Website and see if there are new drivers out there yet. There really needs to be a tool that will check on a weekly basis if there are new drivers for every part of your computer: MB, Bios, Graphics, Network, Sound card, etc.

I will update you and let you know if that fixes the issues

Ok under Custom Views -> Administrative Events I see 2 events that happened last night , but it does not say much:

22/09/2007 22:15:28 Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown.

22/09/2007 22:15:27 The previous system shutdown at 22:13:28 on 22.09.2007 was unexpected.

Those are the only errors and the PC crashed at 22:15 yesterday evening. Thre are a few warnings in the log, but they are about an hour before the crash.
Next time it happens I will have to write it all down. It seems to happen when I play WOW.
Where are the details of the event(s) from the Summary Page Events window? It should look like this after pasting the text into ClipBoard...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        NMIndexingService
Date:          9/24/2007 7:43:48 AM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      redduc900-PC
Description:
The description for Event ID 0 from source NMIndexingService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Service started

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="NMIndexingService" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-09-24T14:43:48.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>687</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>redduc900-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Service started</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Last edited:
There were no details. There were no critical errors. Just 2 "errors" (Not critical) when the PC crashed. Those errors actually appear after the PC rebooted. Directly before the errors, there were only warnings - again no CRITICAL ERRORS - maybe the blue screen is a complete dump and does not allow for error logging?

if the PC just rebooted while you were not running any specific app that makes use of your sounds card, then I would look at the memory. Go get memtest86 and orthos and run several hours of checks.

Back