• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweak Time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Today I discovered just how lazy I've been with my farm. Last summer I had all of my machines up on the second floor of my house in one room. Needless to say it created quite a bit of heat, and I even had to slow down several of my boxen to keep them running reliably. In late summer I put shelves up in the basement and moved them down there. That was quite an undertaking, so I failed to tweak the machines after moving them to a cooler spot. Time went by and I forgot about it. Fast forward to now. I decided to upgrade a few of them, and sell the old chips. It has been so long since I built some of them that I forgot the original specs on some of the machines. Last night I started poking around to see what each box was built with and actually clocked at. Well it quickly dawned on me that I had just left these boxes underclocked to mostly 1GHz. There was even a 1.4GHz chip running at 1.1GHz. I had forgotten all about the summer heat problems. Turns out I've had quite a bit of power going unused. I should really be able to kick my output up a notch with tweaking upgrades. It won't beat AMD mobo, but it can't hurt :) So I say to all yee Seti friends - go and tweaketh your farm, or add fertilizer or something :D

Haha, I've overclocked the snot out of everything I've got already.

I actually sleep in my PC room on real cold nights just because it's the warmest room in the house.

Every little bit counts though. I actually did bring my Tyan back to life this morning...yet again, haha. I just can't kill that thing. It's running that Celly 600 at stock unfortunately (from the previous 900) but I did discover a surprise and got the 2 year old PIII 700 running at 933 by pushing 2.12V through it. Never done it before but it's been crunching all day so I guess it's an even trade off. Might play around and see if I can get the Celly to 900 on that Tyan. I found out it was the old 1.7GB Fujitsu hard drive that was causing the problem...it's on its way out as it wouldn't even format properly. Hooked up an even older 545MB Seagate and off it went (don't need more than that to run NT and SETI anyway, haha).

Anyway, got my 3 lost WUs a day back and you should be able to free up who knows how many hours extra by overclocking those PCs back so it'll make a nice little boost.

Crunch on!!!

The nerve! Underclocking! Some people:D

Seriously though, I have got all my rigs tweaked to the MAX, any time I try and get a little bit more its crash time- sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but always crash! I moved 3 of my rigs to the cellar recently also, and had hoped to get more out of them there, but no go. I guess I'll just have to stick with 1ghz of free cycles (for now).

I do have to admit to some laziness though: I had to gut my old 450 to build my newest comp and I haven't rebuilt it yet! Thats another 7 or 8 wu a week I'm losing!

mmmmm.....TC was leaving unused as many cycles as some of us are currently using.....well my PC is currentky so hot I feel the mouse (and the desk) warm to the touch.....I haven't had the time to look at it, as I'm waiting for my new memory to reach me. Must be at home later this week :)

Looks like somebody will be getting the "wasting CPU cycles" treatment :D

Just remember, I get the weeks worth of CPU crunching with any pooter of my choice this time! :D :D :D

JigPu

tut tut,wasting all those cycles!!!!!
:D
oh well at least u have them all going properly now

ive dropped mine back to 900 from 918 and lowered the voltage
the 35-37 degree C temps here in Perth are getting too warm for me with only stock cooling
*sigh*

oh well,back to it!!

P.S. I hear Blood and Bone is good for a bumper crop of WU's come Harvest time.
:)

Back