• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dreamscene unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've been trying to use Dreamscene and I'm running into a few problems.

If I'm using Prime95 & FAH together to test my OC settings, I can get 24 hours with no problem. If I add Dreamscene running in the background, it starts having weird problems, like all the taskbar buttons of running programs/windows will slide down to the left end of the taskbar, under the start and quicklaunch buttons. Then a while after that it will crash.

Even only running Dreamscene it seems to crash on me overnight.

Is it just to unstable to use at the moment? I'm not having problems with any other programs. (Well, Ok, FAH seems to crash when it finishes a WU and starts a new one, usually about 5% into the unit)

i havent had any problems with it ?

Well, I guess I could try dropping it back to stock and letting it run again and see if it crashes. I'm going to be annoyed if everything is stable for my overclock except that. :(

Hmmm no issues here at least when I tested with Prime on my system don't run FAH.

Prime and FAH stress theCPU and Ram sure enough, but Dreamscene can stress your vid card and vid card driver stability. A lot of people with nvlddmkm.sys stop errors come up from using Dreamscene alone or other 3d apps. Dreamscene adds a completely different factor of stress aside from the normal Prime / FAH testing.

I am just raising the possibility that the error you are seeing has nothing to do with your OC settings.

Can you see what exactly the stop error is?

I haven't checked the log recently, but sometimes it doesn't generate an error. I've been able to, when it isn't too messed up, log out and then back in which fixes the display.

I've had problems with nvlddmkm.sys, but since I've applied the hotfixes and switched to the 163.44 drivers I haven't seen it generate an error code, just had it reboot overnight when it was running.

I'll be trying again and seeing if I get any error codes.

Ok, it made it overnight at stock speeds. I'm running it at my overclock durring the day and we'll see if it works that way. Only other thing running is FAH.

I'm not sure if I had these problems before or after I applied the hotfixes and upgraded the video drivers to 163.44 though. That may have fixed my problem. I guess I'll see when I get home.

Good luck!

Well, with my highest stable overclock (3.251Ghz), I haven't had a problem in over 12 hour with FAH running.

Hmm...I think I'll run prime overnight and see if that makes a difference. If not, I think I'm good. The only other thing I think that might have made a difference is running the sidebar. I'll load that up tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Well, at my max 'stable' OC, running Dreamscene, FAH, and Prime95, it corrupts the display in about 2 hours. I can still log out and back in without rebooting and it fixes the display.

I'll try lowering back to stock and try DS/FAH/P95 again and see if it does the same thing. If so, I think I've got something weird going on with Dreamscene.

I can run FAH/P95 for 24 hour otherwise at these setting with no problems, including browsing and running other programs.

I forgot to check the log, but P95 generated no errors, and I was on the computer at the time reading a .pdf and didn't see any nvkxxxx.xxx error.

What the....???

Dreamscene.jpg

Apparently Dreamscene was just released yesterday!

I've been using Dreamscene Preview!!

Ok, I guess I'll install this tonight and crank up the torture test and see if it repeats.

(shakes head)

I just noticed you have SLI. With Nvidias lovely driver performance for those, it could be that. Dreamscene does use the graphics directly, so maybe the drivers are fudging it up. It is working on mine fine, whereas the old one was annoying.

I just noticed you have SLI. With Nvidias lovely driver performance for those, it could be that. Dreamscene does use the graphics directly, so maybe the drivers are fudging it up. It is working on mine fine, whereas the old one was annoying.

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm going to do a final run at stock speeds and see if the outcome is the same. Given that Prime generates no errors when this happens, it does tend to lean to either a Dreamscene or Nvidia only issue, not a problem with my core stablility.

If I can remember to leave photoshop open I can take a screnshot of this and post it, because it looks kind of cool with everything slid over to the left...like monitor gravity has shifted....

Why photoshop, PrtScn and paint :p

Either will work, but I have to have it open before it goes wonky. After it goes wonky, I can't open any new windows. :( Already open windows work fine though.

Aaaaannnnd....It does it at stock speeds too. :bang head

Finally remembered to leave up something that I can save screenshots with:

collapse.jpg

collapse2.jpg

Looks interesting if nothing else.

I guess i can have it on, but not run anything heavy with it...

Were you using the 162.22 drivers before? If not, give them a go, though I can't remember if they worked for SLI (I think they do).

Yep, but they generate the nvkxxx.xxx (sorry, don't remember the exact file) error whenever I try to run Oblivion. Other things trigger it too. But no, I can't run them without problems.

Back