• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to read smart data?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Hey i have 2 seagate 250gb perps in raid and i was wondering if there was anything like a boot cd that i can read my smart data off the drives with... Hitachi feature tool doesnt want to work on my comp... seagate sea tools i couldnt find any option to read smart data (id does recognize both drives)... so i have no clue where to go from here... is there a program that i can run in windows that i can see the smart data off both drives... i mean everest and intel matrix storage manager knows there is 2 drives but cus of the raid cant read anything off of them...

thnx
Ben

Ben,

Yes, its a pita that when those drives in raid mode, all smart access is gone ! :(

Although I never try this before, I strongly believe when you "temporary" turn off the raid in bios, and boot the rig with BartPE CD and run this S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools program, it might read the smart info from your drives, once you've finished, you can re-enable the raid mode again.

I had the same question for ages now just lazy to ask it. Thanks for the info.

Also I am assuming we can not get the individual hard drive temperatures either right?

imp

see i can boot up into seagate seatools... and get the current, and highest temp recorded on the hd... i just want the other smart data damnit

i dunno bout disabeling raid... starting up bartPE... what program in bartPE can i use to view smart data.? can i run exe's in partPE?

BartPE is actually a stripped down Windows XP, just see it as XP Lite version :D

great idea with part PE... just so happened i had a copy of it... i was lerry bout turning off my raid but no probs at all...

i simply turned off my raid, plugged my external hd in, and booted up off the bart pe disk... when i was able to do stuff i went into my external hd, launched Everest home edition, and got all that i needed... I really just wanted to kno if any sectors on the hard drives had been relocated... 0 on both, i love seagate... (my OLD baracuda IV has 95 relocated sectors :eek:)

thanks again guys.

Ben,

Yes, its a pita that when those drives in raid mode, all smart access is gone ! :(

Although I never try this before, I strongly believe when you "temporary" turn off the raid in bios, and boot the rig with BartPE CD and run this S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools program, it might read the smart info from your drives, once you've finished, you can re-enable the raid mode again.

Most excellent. Have that one bookmarked. I've also have had this in the back of my mind for awhile.

I just downloaded and installed that prog... now what? lol

I'm so glad someone started this thread b/c I don't know anything about S.M.A.R.T. and DEFINITELY need to learn it. So you just enable SMART in BIOS and then??

TIA. GREAT THREAD!

Hey Gman, guess you're not SMART enough eh ? .... j/k :D

No, you can't disable or enable the SMART from the mobo bios, that feature is built-in at every drive.

Its just we can not read them when they're in Raid mode, so what you need it to boot from BartPE CD and launch the program while with the Raid mode turned off, once you've done, turn it back ON.

Or ... you could bring the drive to other rig and launch the program from there to access the smart data from that drive. Make sure you don't alter or write anything at that drive cause they might corrupt the Raid metadata (raid configuration written by the raid controller).

Hey Gman, guess you're not SMART enough eh ? .... j/k :D

No, you can't disable or enable the SMART from the mobo bios, that feature is built-in at every drive.

Its just we can not read them when they're in Raid mode, so what you need it to boot from BartPE CD and launch the program while with the Raid mode turned off, once you've done, turn it back ON.

Or ... you could bring the drive to other rig and launch the program from there to access the smart data from that drive. Make sure you don't alter or write anything at that drive cause they might corrupt the Raid metadata (raid configuration written by the raid controller).

I understand the raid disable then enable part... makes sense, and yes I won't screw it up... but... there is a S.M.A.R.T. option in BIOS... like an enable and disable. I've seen it... whatever it is, it's something in reference to SMART HDD capability.

And you're right, I'm not SMART enough!!! :mad::mad: well, I'm just lazy right now and would rather ask someone that knows than waste valuable time @ work.

Now, this is the first I've heard of BartPE... I'm guessing it's a free download that boots from CD, right? I'm gonna look again at the links posted in this thread, but all I was able to download was the smartmontools.exe, and so far it installed stuff in my startup and they all seem to be batch files.

You should try BartPE, highly recommended and you can do lots of wonders with it ! :)

It feels like back into the old era of booting from floppy and do trouble shootings at the rig's harddrive, but those are DOS era, but with this BartPE, that bootable disc is booting Windows XP, though its sort of "crippled/limited" XP functiionality, but still powerful enough.

okay just downloaded it from here:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

hopefully i'll have the chance to test out this week. thanks!!

why is it that we can't do anything straight from windows?
also, i still don't know how to use the S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools program... =/ after u disable the raid in bios, boot the bartpe CD, then what?

after we figure this all out, maybe the OP can add this info in his initial post. this is very useful, and we should probably have a sticky...

I use a program called HDAT2.exe.

Boots from CD, and works great. Tells you everything about the drive.

Features:

* fully implemented commands: SET MAX, SET SECURITY, Device Configuration Overlay
* device access with interrupt 13h, direct via ATA ports, with ASPI drivers
* detects ATA/ATAPI/SATA/SATA with NCQ devices with on-board and add-on controller cards
* detects USB devices via USB ASPI driver only
* detects SCSI hard drives via INT13h or ASPI drivers
* other SCSI devices are detected via ASPI drivers only (must be loaded before);
with ASPI drivers you got more informations about SCSI devices
* test and repair device for bad sectors
* many different test-functions for hard drives
* resize hard drives which supports SET MAX ADDRESS/EXT
(supports 28/48-bits LBA addressing modes)
* drive lock detection via security feature (Security Menu)
* S.M.A.R.T. functions for ATA/SATA and SCSI/USB drives only
* informations about devices (ATA/ATAPI, INT13h, ASPI)
* sector viewer for devices (also for ZIP, CD-data discs)
* to access ATA/SATA CD-ROM drive you don't need any driver or MSCDEX
* enable/disable some features for direct-access devices
* Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) feature set
(you can restore a full capacity or allow/disallow some feature sets of hard drive)

License:

Program HDAT2 is copyrighted freeware for business or personal use. You can use it free of charge, for an unlimited time.
The program is licensed free of charge, and there is no warranty for the program.
Prohibited is selling, licensing or renting this program to third parties for a fee (by payment of money or otherwise, whether direct or indirect).

Back