• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K-E and SoundBlaster X-FI weird action

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOner

Registered
I have this very weird problem with my hardware. My motherboards integrated soundcard doesn't work like it should be in this price. Crackling sound etc. I bought SB X-FI Extreme Gamer today and installed it to my pc. I uninstalled all sound max drivers and disabled integrated hd audio from bios. Then i installed latest X-Fi drivers and game sounds was awesome.

Then i noticed something. I started Colin MCRae DIRT and noticed that it had very low FPS. I checked my graphics settings and they were same what i had always used. I booted whole machine and started DIRT again, but same thing.

Then i started 3D Mark 06 with default settings and after test i was mouth open. Only 5000 points. Earlier i got ~13500. I tried to reinstall latest Nvidia beta drivers but they didn't solve problem. Last try was to release X-Fi from MOBO. I started 3D Mark without any soundcard attached and... TADAA 13500 points. I installed again X-FI and points was ~5000. So how my SB X-FI can eat ~8000 3D Marks?

Last edited:
Hmm. I checked Mainboard tab from CPU-Z and noticed that Graphic Interface Link Width 1x & Max supported 16x. This isn't normal that my GTX is running at 1x :eek:

Problem solved. And what was the solution? It was weird. I installed CPU-Z and checked PCI-E speed and it was always 1x when X-Fi was installed to PC. Everytime i removed X-fi it popped up to 16x.

I went to bios and loaded default bios settings. Booted machine and.... PCI-E was 16x with X-Fi installed. First i went to bios again and raised my CPU clocks as they were before 8x400 1,3v. Booted and PCI-E was 16x. Then i disabled my integrated soundcard and booted... PCI-E 1x. Everytime i disabled onboard soundcard and X-Fi attached, pci-e speed dropped to 1x. It doesn't make any sense. What i would think is that i should disable integrated soundcard than enable it to get X-fi work.

But now it works as it should and that is important.

Back