• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woot! Got my new CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

After a power surge fried my D975XBX board, I went to frys yesterday and bought a IP35 and Q6600. Fry's has been selling out of the Q6600 so all they have is fresh CPU's from intel.. I got me a SLACR!

After a day from hell at work, I bought my new parts home. I lapped the CPU (using a piece of glass from a picture frame) and started with 1000 grit, and finished with 2000 Grit. I didnt go all the way to the copper in the IHS, as it was actually very flat. Then I put on the artic silver and spread it with a credit card. This was the first time i hadnt lathered the stuff on. I just a small amount on and spread it as thin as possible (adding a dab here and there to get coverage). Then I lapped the bottom of my water block too just to be safe.

I only had time to turn the machine on and so far no problems! I cant wait to get vista loaded tweak this bad boy.

Thanks for sharing in my excitment.

svirf

I did it too, why not its out and you dont have to take anything apart

The chances of a dead brand new cpu are like 0, I have never heard of anyone that had a completely dead cpu that was brand new

The chances of a dead brand new cpu are like 0, I have never heard of anyone that had a completely dead cpu that was brand new

if you happen to be in the 0.001% that receives that bad cpu, you will change your tune real fast after dumping $300 down the drain before even putting it in the system. Not to mention that you will never know if you were the one that screwed it up while lapping or if it came DOA and learn from your mistake for next time you do it.

Chances are much higher than you think.

I guess I didnt screw it up it only does 3.7 24/7 Still have never heard someone get a brand new dud C2D. Quality control is way better now then 3+ years ago. Hottest core run 50c.

Is there a full picture guide on lapping CPU's and or waterblocks/heatsinks?

Nice, Yeah you sound pretty excited. I would be too!!!

Back