• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats better For OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lharp

Okay Lil ?
I got three hdd´s two ide and one sata II 500 was just wondering where would be the best place to install my os ! Was just thinking that later I will get another sata II 500 and maybe try raid . Than just keep the two ide as storage .. Oh ja dvd is sata also so I can have two ide hdd´s

Any Info would be great

Thanks OC rocks

Personally I'd install the OS to the smaller of the IDE drives, then install programs to the SATA drive. That way, you get the benefit of better load times for large files like games, etc. (thanks to the better transfer rates of the undoubtedly newer SATA drive), but you wouldn't need to completely reinstall your OS if you decided to upgrade to a RAID.

And, thinking of future upgrades, there's no real advantage to having your OS installed on a RAID... access times matter more in this case, and they'll be pretty similar between a RAID, the single SATA drive, and the IDE drives, assuming all the drives are 7200rpm. So, IMO, it's worth saving the trouble of the reinstall by using an IDE drive as your OS drive.

Back