• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a DVD Burner - Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Why are the Plextors so damn expensive??

Anyway, I have an NEC 3540 and a 3550 in my current primary rig. Unforunately, the gigabyte p35c ds3r board has the IDE port so low that I can only (and barely) hook up one dvd burner to the board... I can't reach the round IDE cable when both are hooked up... I figured that it's probably time to go SATA.

So... I'm looking for a SATA DVD burner, but I'm not sure what's good. I am not spending $70 on a Plextor... it's stupid to spend $70 on a burner in my opinion.

NewEgg has Lite-On here
for $33.99 shipped after the $3 promo code I got in my email. Is this good?

With my NECs, I was able to set the drive to burn DVD+Rs to DVD-Rom, and I think I could do something similar with DVD+R DLs for burning 360 games... I want to be able to do that with my next sata burner.

Thx!

yes the sata lite-ons are good, I recently grabbed a philips SPD2513p model and I am very happy with it. I dont even care about lightscribe or any of that garbage and I never pay more than $40 for a burner.

i don't EVER plan to use lightscribe... the media is too much of a ripoff.

is that philips you have the 2-tone colored one? i was eyeing it last night b4 i saw the newegg newsletter for this lite-on for $34 shipped.

Any idea why the Plextors are DOUBLE the cost of other brands?? I mean, the reviews don't seem 5 star all-around, so I just don't understand. I guess it's like how Sony TVs were the most expensive and Zenith or w/e else was cheaper... well, Sony isn't the most expensive anymore...

I figured Plextors may be better manufactured, but I could swear I thought I read somewhere that a certain Lite-On was the same thing...

sony uses liteons

for $35 dollars and a 1 year warranty from newegg on oem dvd roms who cares how good they are made lol, plus alot of them are retail now like my philips and my last liteon that i sold here.

I've found Lite-On to be good stuff. Samsung makes some nice cheap burners too. Plextors are expensive, but they're not so picky with the media they work well with while a lot of other drives are.

Alright, so here are the choices I'm deciding between:

LITE-ON Black (don't forget this has a $3 promo code)

SAMSUNG Black

Philips 2-Tone

I have a black case, so either 3 would be cool... I'm wondering if the Philips looks the nicest.

So they're all free shipping, which I like (in terms of refund)... choose one for me! :D :D

*edit*
WTH... I swear the Samsung was just free shipping...

okay i went with the philips just b/c i've been using Lite-On and NEC for yrs... it's time to try something new. :)

the Samsung SH-S203B SATA is the top rated drive on cdfreaks, I have one with the SB01 firmware and the quality is top notch.

Any idea why the Plextors are DOUBLE the cost of other brands?? I mean, the reviews don't seem 5 star all-around, so I just don't understand. I guess it's like how Sony TVs were the most expensive and Zenith or w/e else was cheaper... well, Sony isn't the most expensive anymore...

At least years ago, Plextor drives were made in the USA, rather than Asia. If that is still the case, look no further.

I have had the lite on SATA since April and it does a great job, have not burned a coaster yet, I just thought it was a little louder than my older NEC 18x IDE burner. I have 2 litescribe burners and its nice but have only used it a few times.

Last edited:
Another possible consideration... go with a Lite-on if you rip DVDs, or ever plan to. Most other brands now include a stupid "Rip-Lock" which limits you to some ridiculously low read-speed on movies.

Up here Pioneer and LG seem to be the popular choice. I have an LG and have picked them up for friends too. Solid & fast but can sound like a jet taking off if it's burning a lot of data and gets up to speed ;)

Another possible consideration... go with a Lite-on if you rip DVDs, or ever plan to. Most other brands now include a stupid "Rip-Lock" which limits you to some ridiculously low read-speed on movies.

yes i've heard of that rip-lock... crap i totally forgot... it may be too late to cancel the philips and order something else...

i took care of riplock on both of my NECs, but have to get rid of one of them since i can't fit 2 IDE drives on one cable (cable doesn't reach)... so that's why i went with sata.

anyone use the philips to rip/burn movies with great success?

yes i've heard of that rip-lock... crap i totally forgot... it may be too late to cancel the philips and order something else...

i took care of riplock on both of my NECs, but have to get rid of one of them since i can't fit 2 IDE drives on one cable (cable doesn't reach)... so that's why i went with sata.

anyone use the philips to rip/burn movies with great success?

I've been looking into a new SATA DVD burner recently, and I ordered the Samsung SH 203B. From reviews and peoples personal experience (CD Freaks), it is the best all around SATA burner on the market atm. Not trying to sway your decision, just thought I should let you know what they told me.

Also if you go on CDFreaks.com you can look at reviews and see that it burns at a very good quality.

Ok, maybe I am trying to sway your decision! :)

I've been looking into a new SATA DVD burner recently, and I ordered the Samsung SH 203B. From reviews and peoples personal experience (CD Freaks), it is the best all around SATA burner on the market atm. Not trying to sway your decision, just thought I should let you know what they told me.

Also if you go on CDFreaks.com you can look at reviews and see that it burns at a very good quality.

Ok, maybe I am trying to sway your decision! :)

I just canceled the Philips b/c it was at step3... I'm calling them right now to make sure and place an order for the Samsung you recommended... I rip/burn a lot, so this is very important... Thanks!! Btw, by default does it have riplock? If so, or either way... where's best to get a nice firmware for it... :D THX!

Back