• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attaching Extra Parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SegaAges

I am pretty sure that this belongs here.

I know it sounds wierd or something, but I want to get more fans, and need to find a way to attach them to my case without cutting new holes on my case.

I was thinking some type of wire, but I am unsure of what type to use.

I really like my case and don't want to ruin it by modding the case or gorilla glueing a bunch of fans only to have them burn out on me or something.

Any tips, suggestions?

using a metal coat hanger works pretty well, since its easy to bend yet sturdy. Where are you planning to place the fans?

I was going to place them facing my cpu, but on the bottom portion of where I put my hdd's.

I only have 2 hdd's and probably won't need more anytime soon, so I have alot of extra space there and was going to put more fans in.

A hot glue gun may work depending on where you want to place the fans, you can just rip the fans off, and scrape the glue off with a box cutter when you're done.

Zip ties. Put 'em throut the screw holes on the corners of the fan, then attach 'em to nearby screw holes/wires/pets/etc.

Easy to do and easier to remove without residue than tape or hotglue. (Although those are fine choices in their own right.)

IMO it's not a properly set up computer if it doesn't make some use of zipties.

Zip ties. Put 'em throut the screw holes on the corners of the fan, then attach 'em to nearby screw holes/wires/pets/etc.

Easy to do and easier to remove without residue than tape or hotglue. (Although those are fine choices in their own right.)

IMO it's not a properly set up computer if it doesn't make some use of zipties.

In my Centurion 5 it was hard for me to work with them. I ended up just letting them sit on the drive bay and video card.

If it's a matter of more airflow, you could always use a fan-dapter (space permitting) so that you can use a larger fan on the smaller case hole.
They're meant to adapt larger fans to smaller heatsinks, but can work on case holes too.

Not perfect, but better than dropping in a bunch of free-air fans.

If you just lay them flat on the bottom of the case, you won't get much air flow because the intake of the fan will be blocker. You'll just be moving warm air around. An adapter will also block intake air. If that's not a concern then I like the zip tie. I have 3 of my 80s attached using small velcro pieces. Makes them easy to remove for cleaning and repositioning.

Keep in mind that just throwing fans inside a case will not really always improve temperatures.

Having a good air flow through the case is very important as air has to come in at a certain rate if you want it to leave at a certain rate as well :)

Back