• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want Raid 0 with Vista on it but no flopy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PyROphantasie

Registered
So i have 2 240g Seagates and an Asus P5K Premuim Black Pearl Edition motherboard and i want to create a Raid 0 setup with Vista on it, but i have no floppy drive, only a dvd-r drive, i tried doing the setup as they say to do it in the manual but it doesnt work, this is what the manual says-
If you want to boot the system from a hard disk uncluded in a created Raid set, copy first the Raid driver from the support dvd to a floppy disk before you install the operating system to the selected hard disk drive

but i have no floppy drive, in the section telling how to do the above it also says i can use a USB flash drive, which i have, but to do so you have to go through Vista, which would already need to be installed, but i cant install Vista until i have the raid setup? so i dont know what to do, should i go and get a floppy drive, or is there some way i could work this out?

any help or instructions on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks

It can pull the drivers off of a usb/thumb device as well. Plug it into ANY OS, extract the files to the thumb device and it will work. You dont have to do this in Vista. No special software needed. Copy the files, like you would if you were tranferring them or backing them up. The big thing is the files need to be extracted. Vista installer cannot extract drivers yet

So i take the asus mobo dvd, put it into my old comp, copy the raid drivers off of it into the thumb drive, then follow the directions in the manual, sticking the thumb drive into the usb port instead of the flopy into flopy drive? is that what you mean?

Although I don't use Vista, I thought I read it somewhere that Vista is natively supports Intel ICHxR and no need those external driver hassle ?

one more question, would the usb thumbdrive have to be completely empty except for the raid drivers? or is it ok if i have other info on there?

so i can just stick vista in and it'll have an option to create a raid on the two drives and install on both as raid 0? without any settings changed in the mobo?

Before you boot up in Vista, in the BIOS, enable the RAID mode for the SATA, once saved, during post you will be prompted by the Intel RAID BIOS screen to press the <Ctrl-I> button, hit it, create the Raid 0 from there then finally boot on Vista disc for the OS installation.

ok, so i tried that and when after i set it to raid, i save and exit, then when it gets to the bios and i see the ctrl-I i do that and i get this screen

and i cant do anything, it's pretty much frozen except the blinking line, which i cant even type into, and i have to shutdown

i gave up, i just whent out and got a floppy and it's all work'n great now, I cant believe that today it would be so hard to set up a Raid without those damn outdated floppy's

It looks like the reason you can't raid them is because they are unformatted >.>

I'm fairly certain you must before putting them in a raid ;)

Back