• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should i do with my old computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

Hi all.

I finally upgraded my old computer a few months back and have enough of the old components to form a computer (albeit a little little dated).

My question is what can i do with it other then sell the various pieces for a little bit of cash on ebay?

The "spec" is AMD Athlon 2400+, MSI KT6V mobo, 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM, Geforce 2 Ti GFX, 400 W Nexus PSU, 80GB IDE HDD, on board sound.

Folding could be an option if a use for it can be found, i dunno media centre or server? A download only rig?

Any ideas welcomed,

ta, D.L

My media center serves as a server and folds. It's a Barton 2600 at 2.1ghz, with 512mb of OCZ EL PC 3200 RAM with a Hauppauge tuner and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600. Those specs are too much more than what you have, and it handles XP MCE fairly well. (Though not Vista MCE.) Granted, I do have 1.1 TB of space in it though, you will be fairly limited in the number of recordings you can do with 80gb.

I use my celeron-L rig for data backup and have it running 24/7 at the super low voltage.
I can access the computer via remote desktop from anywhere and access all my files so its very handy. Especially if I forget that major piece of homework!

Back