• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No control over heatsink fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunacinense

Registered
OK, I've had my system up for over a month now. Just today when I turned the comp on, my heatsink fan is VERY loud. Granted I have the RPM knob cranked to max, but I've never heard my fan before. Now I'm wondering if I have any control over the fan at all. Although the sensor reads the RPM's rising and falling when I turn the knob, I don't think anything is happening. It's just this particular boot up I had full control over my heatsink fan, what gives?

OK, I've had my system up for over a month now. Just today when I turned the comp on, my heatsink fan is VERY loud. Granted I have the RPM knob cranked to max, but I've never heard my fan before. Now I'm wondering if I have any control over the fan at all. Although the sensor reads the RPM's rising and falling when I turn the knob, I don't think anything is happening. It's just this particular boot up I had full control over my heatsink fan, what gives?

So do you have full control or don't you? you state both.

Check for dust or hairs etc.

Go into the BIOS and check that the RPM's are indeed changing when you adjust the knob. Don't trust software

Maybe see if you can enable auto fan speed in the BIOS.

The bearings on the FAN might be clogged or failing.

Are you a smoker? smoke can clog up bearings in weeks...

Could be dirt, but from one day sounding fine to the next making noise, sounds like bearings to me. Easiest fix is to just put a new fan in place and chuck that one. Of course, check for dust fur first.

So do you have full control or don't you? you state both.

Check for dust or hairs etc.

Go into the BIOS and check that the RPM's are indeed changing when you adjust the knob. Don't trust software

Maybe see if you can enable auto fan speed in the BIOS.

The bearings on the FAN might be clogged or failing.

Are you a smoker? smoke can clog up bearings in weeks...

Currently I don't have control over the fan, but it is running. As I said it was only that particular boot up I was able to change the RPM. I'm going to check the BIOS later, thanks for the help. And smoking is disgusting :).

Could be dirt, but from one day sounding fine to the next making noise, sounds like bearings to me. Easiest fix is to just put a new fan in place and chuck that one. Of course, check for dust fur first.

The fan itself is not a problem, the noise was just from the fan spinning very fast and the movement of air. It's running at about 25% of max RPM. And I can guarantee there isn't any foreign objects hindering its movement.

Since you didnt mention any details, I assume you're talking about your TT120 with it's stock fan.

Make sure you check the extra cable connection from the fan to the adjusting knob, if its disconnected or loose connection, the fan will run at max speed.

Last edited:
Back