• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your advice - Swap GA-P35-DQ6 vs Striker Extreme; GO or NO-GO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JorisS

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 motherboard, which clocked marvelous according to the previous owner... personally I'm yet to start my career as a clocker though, so can't say much about it.

Now I've been offered to swap the board vs an Asus Striker Extreme (second rev I think), I'll have to cough up $40 in between (since the Asus costs about $60 more new, here in Sweden anyways).

That a good idea? The one advantage with the Asus is that it supports SLI, which might be a fun thing to test for once as well. I don't know if there are disadvantages... other than that it has no guarantee perhaps, owner says the cooling is slightly modded. Guarantee on the GA is through previous owner anyways (i.e. hassle).

I'd stick with the board you have. SLI is almost always less economical than buying one card. Unless you plan on running two of the best cards at the time (currently 8800 Ultras) you'd be better off buying 1 card.

Because of that I wouldn't use SLI to justify a mobo swap, especially factoring in the additional cost and probable loss of some OCing ability.

Ok thanks guys, that was what I was hoping to hear actually :)

And no I never have and never will run the top-line GFX, cause those are always expensive beyond reason in my opinion.

I'm about to spice my system up with a 7950GX2, just waiting for the waterblock to arrive. I'll settle for 1 then =)

Back