• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about OC stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mito

So I'm running my q6600 @ 3.4GHz stable while running games (Bioshock, MOH, etc.). Never froze or anything weird happened.

However, it'll fail after a few minutes running Prime.

May I say my rig is stable?

NO ! games and other programs can work around many mistakes but prime 95 and the such will not .
what are your temps and voltage for CPU?

NO ! games and other programs can work around many mistakes but prime 95 and the such will not .

cpu @ 49C (cores at 55C) under load
vcore is auto (1.4v)

the thing is, I'm OC in order to play games better. If Windows doesn't freeze or anything @ 3.4Ghz, why should I care about Prime failing???

the thing is, I'm OC in order to play games better. If Windows doesn't freeze or anything @ 3.4Ghz, why should I care about Prime failing???

it simply means that it is stable when using 2 cores. However, when you have a full load, (running all 4 cores 100%) you don't have enough juice and the cpu is starved to death. Having instability issues is always dangerous.

it simply means that it is stable when using 2 cores. However, when you have a full load, (running all 4 cores 100%) you don't have enough juice and the cpu is starved to death. Having instability issues is always dangerous.

Yep!

:beer::bday::soda:

sorry, I'm not very smart.

What do you mean by not having enough juice? voltage?

what kind of danger do I risk other than Windows freezing? Like I said, Windows never froze on me... That's why I'm confused. Games don't require that much of CPUs, so of course my q6600 will be stable @ 3.4Ghz...

sorry, I'm not very smart.

What do you mean by not having enough juice? voltage?

what kind of danger do I risk other than Windows freezing? Like I said, Windows never froze on me... That's why I'm confused. Games don't require that much of CPUs, so of course my q6600 will be stable @ 3.4Ghz...

juice = voltage.
When you overclock your cpu, the power requirement always increases, even without increasing the voltage. The cpu will draw more amps.

Play a quad-core utilizing game, and it would bsod. If it BSOD, you risk hard drive corruption. Perhaps now, you won't notice the downside to the instability issue because you do not play any games that stress your cores that much, but once you do, you'll notice it.

Simply increase the voltage a few increments until you get it dual orthos stable for ~10hs, and it should be 'stable'.

Imagine while you're playing game, and you're so unlucky that when your rig right at the very short moment that its going to freeze, while its writing to your harddrive, the corrupted OS in memory decided to trash your drive's OS and it's content and etc beyond bootable and completely corrupted the whole drive.

How about that ? :D

i've asked this before but now knowing whats been said is 8 hours enough to call a oc stable?

Well, this is purely my oppinion about how long is enough for stability test ?

Two examples :

- Your mom's rig, used mostly for browsing, short emailing and retrieving cooking recipes that most of the times never reach more than lets say 25% of the cpu load, "AND" she never used that rig more than 1 hour and not more than 3 times a week.

- Your rig, used almost everday for about 10 hours for intensive gaming and almost 90% of the time spent on 100% CPU utilisation. Yes, you look like zombie since you never sleep well enough ! :D

Now the "common sense" :

- IMO, I believe 3-4 hours is more than enough for your mom's rig, right ? Do you agree ?

- For your rig, do you think 8 hours is enough ? How bout 12 hours or even 24 hours ?

It's all about taking the risk vs the practicality limit on how long you should test, of course the longer the better, it is all depends how is the "typical" usage on that rig.

My 0.02

Yeah I would agree but come on really most of the stuff you have on your HDD's can all be put back on (at least all the stuff I have can ) and if I get a HDD corrupted ( it has happened many times ) I just redo it !

so you guys don't do that much stress testing, do you?

i've never had a hdd fail on me, then again this is my first pc that i've had running for 2 months or more. but what i plan to do is get a 750 gb strickly for backup's in a vantec esata external. i will backup ever 2 weeks or month. it will be off otherwise so it should last a good long time.

Back