• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would you keep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I have two computers at this point, and I obviously don't need both of them. If it were up to you which would you keep? Which one do you think I would get more for selling?

Laptop - Dell Latitude D820
Intel C2D 1.66GHz
1GB RAM
Intel 950GMA Graphics
80GB 5400RPM HDD
Intel Wireless 3945B/G
DVD-ROM/CD-RW
6-cell battery (3-5 hours depending on use)

vs.

Desktop (specs in signature)

personally i would keep the desktop but that's me. i love my laptop but would never have it as my only PC. I'll let others confirm on price but i would think the laptop would be worth more and to me easier to sell, not many people like buying someone's custom built pc.

I'm with dem ^^^. If your desktop still does what you need it to do, and you won't miss the portability of the lappy too much, I'd sell the lappy.

I will go against what the others say and ask what do you use your computer for? If you play games then keep the desktop because it has a vastly superior video card, but if you don't play games that require an x800 then keep the laptop.

You can't really do any meaningful upgrades to your desktop, the 915 chipset doesn't support dual-core and DDR will most likely be useless for your next build. If you don't game, my suggestion is to dump the desktop parts (especially the P4, RAM, and mobo) while you can still get some decent money out of them. A comparable Dell laptop in new condition would cost about $650-$800, based on condition you might be able to get 2/3 to 3/4 that price selling it used. I figure your desktop parts would be worth about $300 total.

Last edited:
Well, if I sell the desktop it will be in the classifieds, so I'm not worried about the fact that most people won't buy a custom desktop. Unless of course you think that extends to the membership here at OCF :). I think you're probably right though, the laptop probably has more resale value. Thanks for your input!

Well, if I sell the desktop it will be in the classifieds, so I'm not worried about the fact that most people won't buy a custom desktop. Unless of course you think that extends to the membership here at OCF :). I think you're probably right though, the laptop probably has more resale value. Thanks for your input!

well even in the classies you'll probably have to part it out. most systems i've seen browsing around end up getting parted out.

Feel free to offer input, this decision is more difficult than it seems. I would rather have the laptop for daily use because I like the resolution and keyboard more. The desktop has more gaming capability, which I won't use much, but I might use more at some point.

Back