• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i vs P35 with video performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Hopefully I will get some nice responses.

The question is which has better video performance.

Each chipset has pro's and cons, but does any of these have an all around good performance.

We know that the 680i RAID performance is crappy compared to ICH9R.

What about the video side.

With a 7900GTX and a E6850, do they score the same?

This is an interesting post. Maybe we should do 3dmark scores with configuration?

Mobo: IP35 Pro Pwns U @3.6
Vid: GEForce 8800GTX

3DMark:
12214 2006/653/1040
^^^^ ^^/^^^/^^^
Score Ver/OC

Something tells me this thread alreadys exists. :sn:

Well, I did some testing...

Nvidia 3dmark 2006 score: 6657

p35 3dmark 2006 score: 6647

Nvidia 3dmark 2005 score: 11776

P35 3dmark 2005 score: 12325

NvRAID (4 x 250 gig RAID 0) Burst :754.1 MB/s, sustained: 284.2 MB/s (16K block size)

P35 (4 x 250 gig RAID 0) Burst : 2727.8 MB/s, sustained 476.6 MB/s. (128K block size)

ohwell i'm happy with my 680i, i will keep it until DDR3 has really come out and cheapened up i thinks.

3dmark doesnt count IMO, after using NV680I vs P965/P35. i have to say it depends on the game you play more then the chipset. as for the NV680I to match my single card setup in source i had to run sli. meaning that in sli, i would be lucky to see a 180fps max to 90fps low,@1280x1024 no aa/no af/no hdr. on P965/P35 i would see 225max fps, 120 fps low. now to me its funny how both setups oc to the same speed with same drivers gets complety different fps in soruce. what i did notice is that to get the most fps from the sli setup you needed to use the split frame rendering method.

in other games though i didnt notice a big a difference as in Source. in other games it was more like 5-10fps difference, games like fear,warhammer 40k.....

I'm kinda stuck here...

What board would you guys keep?

The gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R or the eVGA 680i SLI - T1?

Granted, once I changed the block size to 16K on the 680i board it just went much faster....

$199 board or a $129 board which one do I keep.

I also noticed that I can't change the memory timings on the gigabyte board..

I'm kinda stuck here...

What board would you guys keep?

The gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R or the eVGA 680i SLI - T1?

Granted, once I changed the block size to 16K on the 680i board it just went much faster....

$199 board or a $129 board which one do I keep.

I also noticed that I can't change the memory timings on the gigabyte board..

try hiting ctrl+f1

if not using sli then the p35 is quite the clear winner I would imagine.

I'm starting to see that... I don't think I plan on doing SLI the time around with this setup. Maybe a few years from now...

I was getting a little worried about the lack of options in the BIOS, but a simple Ctrl+F1 changes all of this...

Where now I can change my memory timings...Which is needed for my tweaking...

I'm starting to see that... I don't think I plan on doing SLI the time around with this setup. Maybe a few years from now...

I was getting a little worried about the lack of options in the BIOS, but a simple Ctrl+F1 changes all of this...

Where now I can change my memory timings...Which is needed for my tweaking...

In addition, the T1 is the older revision I think, if you want that, call eVGA and get them to replace with an A1 revision.

(They might be the same thing)

If you want SLI go 680i (if it rhymes you can't go wrong)

If you don't go P35.

A slightly modded eVGA 680i A1 board can hit the same OC speeds as the P35 models. At least reasonable speeds, not counting the extreme OC'ers. Although there are some "holes" in the FSB timings you can hit which if you aren't aware of can screw up your OC. P35 does have ICH9R, but honestly, the Nvidia RAID and the ICH9R are negligible in quality, both are "okay" for the most of us. ICH9R has Matrix raid but I don't even use it. If you want "good" raid you have to go to a standalone RAID card (expensive).

P35 supposedly runs a bit cooler and I do like that about it. I initially bought a 680i that had problems and ended up replacing it with a P35.

To be honest, an eVGA 680i A1 will probably OC to better speeds than the DS3R because of vdroop and the like. From what I've seen from users on these forums, a DS3R has considerably more vdroop than a modded eVGA 680i A1.

I keep saying "modded" eVGA 680i A1. This is a very loose definition of the word. To my knowledge all it involves is drawing a line with pencil on the board.

(Pencil "lead" is conductive)

In addition, the T1 is the older revision I think, if you want that, call eVGA and get them to replace with an A1 revision.

(They might be the same thing)

If you want SLI go 680i (if it rhymes you can't go wrong)

If you don't go P35.

A slightly modded eVGA 680i A1 board can hit the same OC speeds as the P35 models. At least reasonable speeds, not counting the extreme OC'ers. Although there are some "holes" in the FSB timings you can hit which if you aren't aware of can screw up your OC. P35 does have ICH9R, but honestly, the Nvidia RAID and the ICH9R are negligible in quality, both are "okay" for the most of us. ICH9R has Matrix raid but I don't even use it. If you want "good" raid you have to go to a standalone RAID card (expensive).

P35 supposedly runs a bit cooler and I do like that about it. I initially bought a 680i that had problems and ended up replacing it with a P35.

To be honest, an eVGA 680i A1 will probably OC to better speeds than the DS3R because of vdroop and the like. From what I've seen from users on these forums, a DS3R has considerably more vdroop than a modded eVGA 680i A1.

I keep saying "modded" eVGA 680i A1. This is a very loose definition of the word. To my knowledge all it involves is drawing a line with pencil on the board.

(Pencil "lead" is conductive)

no the T1 one is a lower model of A1, the older rev boards were TR/AR boards. actually the P35 will oc better with quads then the nv680i. as last i checked the new NV's revs still dont have a GTLref voltage control. being able to increase the GTLREF is what helps in clocking quads. NV upped this voltage a bit in the newer revs. now how much GTLREF makes on NV vs P35 i dunno about. as most WR's are being set/broken on P35 boards.

no the T1 one is a lower model of A1, the older rev boards were TR/AR boards. actually the P35 will oc better with quads then the nv680i. as last i checked the new NV's revs still dont have a GTLref voltage control. being able to increase the GTLREF is what helps in clocking quads. NV upped this voltage a bit in the newer revs. now how much GTLREF makes on NV vs P35 i dunno about. as most WR's are being set/broken on P35 boards.

Well, I'm only basing my assumption on users like trentmentx reaching 3.8Ghz on an eVGA 680i A1 with very little vdroop. I haven't seen any DS3R's reach that because I've heard they have extremely bad vdroop.

Keep in mind I compared the 2 specific boards, not the 2 chipsets when I said the 680i would OC better than the P35.

Also, I'm at 3.645Ghz on my Q6600 and have my GTL Ref manually set at the lowest possible setting, so I'm not sure that statement is entirely accurate.

Also, I'm at 3.645Ghz on my Q6600 and have my GTL Ref manually set at the lowest possible setting, so I'm not sure that statement is entirely accurate.

the GTLREF voltage over at XS has been shown to help ocing quads higher, thats where i have based my statements on. that and the fact when i increase it past 70% on my dual core ocing goes down/becomes unstable for me. dual cores do no benifit from have GTLREF increased.

with reguards to my other comment though, what i mean is that for max ocing of quads on nv680i is that it may not benifit from higher GTLREF. Like the P35 does, im not entirly sure what setting they use on the NV board though.

the GTLREF voltage over at XS has been shown to help ocing quads higher, thats where i have based my statements on. that and the fact when i increase it past 70% on my dual core ocing goes down/becomes unstable for me. dual cores do no benifit from have GTLREF increased.

with reguards to my other comment though, what i mean is that for max ocing of quads on nv680i is that it may not benifit from higher GTLREF. Like the P35 does, im not entirly sure what setting they use on the NV board though.

I did notice that OCing on the gigabyte board is slightly different.

The 680i lets you type in the FSB, such as 1512 for 3.4Ghz, and the gigabyte board divides that number by 4, so then I have to use 378 to hit that same 3.4Ghz.. Not a big deal. I also noticed on the Gigagyte board, I can't unlock my memory with my FSB which sucks. Unless I'm overlooking it, I can't seem to find it. When I change my FSB, my RAM speed goes up. I need to be able to keep that @ 800Mhz. Is there a way to do this? Otherwise I would rather have that kind of control if I went back with the 680i. I have both boards still. I'm deciding on which to keep. Based on the pros and cons of each

I did notice that OCing on the gigabyte board is slightly different.

The 680i lets you type in the FSB, such as 1512 for 3.4Ghz, and the gigabyte board divides that number by 4, so then I have to use 378 to hit that same 3.4Ghz.. Not a big deal. I also noticed on the Gigagyte board, I can't unlock my memory with my FSB which sucks. Unless I'm overlooking it, I can't seem to find it

yea the nv680 works from the quad fsb instead of the cpu, instead of the none quad pumped. i did like the feature of bing about to have the cpu at its max fsb and then the ram at its max or not oced at all. the unlinked feature is one of the standout of the crowd features, i wish was on the intel based boards.

Last edited:
yea the nv680 works from the quad fsb instead of the cpu, instead of the none quad pumped. i didnt like the feature of bing about to have the cpu at its max fsb and then the ram at its max or not oced at all. the unlinked feature is one of the standout of the crowd features, i wish was on the intel based boards.

oooooh.... Hmmmm... This is a big problem... I like that feature... Makes over clocking much MUCH easier...

Damn it! I knew there would be something to spoil the deal.

What to do now.. 680i or P35

P35 got 478MB/s with the ICH9R, and is $129

The 680i got 317MB/s and is $199

I'm so confused....

Help me choose Evilsizer......

Last edited:
Back