• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running a thermofan (from a car) on pc case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coderX

Heys, i have been looking into maybe using a thermofan from a cars radiator to cool my pc, basically the idea is to install it into the side of the case and somehow get an inverter so i can plug the fan into a wall socket instead of pc , i dont care if it's loud enough to wake the neighbors.
my pc has 6 fans in it already and it's not overclocked and yet it still hits 70 degrees and sometimes shuts down during day-time gameplay ... sending me nuts. It was fine in winter but yeah now summer is here i am up the creek...

if anyone has done this or knows of someone who has drop a post and let me know how it turned out / if it is possible, so far i have not found anywhere to get an inverter to hook the fan to, i plan on plasma cutting the case at work so installation is no prob...

What is the temp in your room at the moment? Why not invest in something like a Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme or a nice watercooling kit? It will be quieter and it will probably work out better.

money

basically i can get a thermofan from the wreckers for roughly $10 and i cant imagine an inverter is that exspensive, i notice that putting a house fan (upright with the head off) next to the case with the side of the case off drops the temp significantly but this is not really what i am after i would like it all to be one unit. i cant afford water cooling really or flurinert (looked into it) so air cooling probably the way to go, unfortunately i also cannot afford to spend 100 + $ on cooling system so it seemed a good way to go.

room temp is fairly hot roughly, 30 degrees (aussie summer :( )

It would be fun to play with but I can't see my self using it long term. There is also a possibility that the EMI from the fan could cause some problems. I doubt it is shielded in anyway and that big of motor can put out some serious EMI.

With a room temp of 43'C (South African Highveld summer in a room with large windows and slate roof tiles) my Pentium 820D never went higher than 65'C with the stock HSF.

With a zalman (can't remember the name) got to 3.7GHz and never went over 70'C, although the room temps then were just over 30'C

I would say you need to rip off that HSF, scrape off the gunk and clean it good. Then invest in some good thermal paste and apply it and reinstall the HSF.

Same goes for all the parts - GPU, chipset etc...

High temps like those mean that something is wrong.

Remember office people are running these at stock speeds in cases with maybe one 80mm fan with no problems...

Back