• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems installing Vista.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cadmium77

Registered
I'm doing a completely new reinstall of Vista 32 on my Dell Vostro laptop I just purchased. I didn't want all the partitions and the Dell Media center stuff so I just did away with all the partitions and put in the dell disc and hit F12..

Installing Windows...

That's all the information we need right now. Your computer will restart several times during installation.

Copying Windows Files...Check

Expanding files....Check

Installing features...Check

Installing updates....Check..

Completing installation...

So the computer then turned itself off and on again with this same page up but the Completing Installation still hanging...no sound from the disc running Eventually the screen went black but the arrow cursor is still visible and responds to my touchpad. How long do I have to wait? This is taking forever..

What do I do now? Put in the Dell driver disc?

Its not just Dell. I have the exact problem with Vista Home Premium 32 bit OEM on a home built system. (which is why I clicked this thread) It has been hanging on "completing installation..." for an hour.
I am on a Matrix RAID 0 partition.

Edit: OK google helps. It seems that this step can indeed take over 90 minutes on a clean hard drive. I guess I just have to wait a little longer.

I've never heard of Vista taking 90 min., much less an hour to install. If you're OC'd, make sure to reset your clocks to default prior to the install. Even if you can run Orthos, Memtest, etc. for hours in XP/W2K, and you think your system is 100% stable... Vista setup may have problems with it for whatever reason(s).

Back