• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeware Password Management Utility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

A buddy at work is looking for a program that is easy to use & secure to store a few dozen passwords, I thought there was multiple freeware applications that did this but some quick searching didn't turn up anything mind-blowing - do any of you use a utility like this?

I thought about that, but he wants a program/software solution - and like I said I thought there was freeware to do this? But perhaps I was mistaken.

Keepass. Search in. There's also a Windows Mobile version and the database is compatible between both. I love it.

I will um... write one :)

Make sure whatever it is it is a good and reputable program, otherwise you may have something that is just going to steal them.

Thank you curtis - open source was what I was hoping for I'll have him give them a try!

KeyPass and PasswordSafe are both very nice, but I'm fairly partial to Password Gorilla myself. It's built on PasswordSafe, allows merging of databases, it has a user-selectable idle database locking time (so after a few minutes if you happen to leave your desk noone can access your passwords), and it's platform independent (although in *nix I run it through WINE since I'm lazy). It allows sub-groups for login types and you can save comments, urls, etc. for each password set within the database.

I like how I can take my database with the binary on a usb key and only have to remember a single password. If you need to add passwords from work or whatever, you can later simply merge the two databases and have a full organized list.

Back