• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Queeg

Registered
Evening !

Well tonight my well run down computer has finally given up the ghost and its time for me to wipe the drive and reinstall everything .... problem is this...

The error is NTLDR is missing which on its own i could fix (im sure) but also that i cannot boot from CD

I've tried running fixntldr.exe on a USB stick but it constantly reboots

any suggestions ? even if its just to allow me to get the damn thing formatted would be great

cheers!

Not much more to add really.

the set up is nothing fancy no raid or anything on this one just a single seriel ATA hard drive going to a DFI 939 expert MB. The OS is XP Pro with SP2.

the errors i get are

NTLDR is missing and
cannot boot from CD code 4

sorry theres not much extra there but im not at home at the minute so the errors are from memory.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you have the ability, you can create a boot disk (good old win98 bootdisk, the only thing good about that OS), that will clear the code 4, and you can do a repair from the cd.

Not much more to add really.

the set up is nothing fancy no raid or anything on this one just a single seriel ATA hard drive going to a DFI 939 expert MB. The OS is XP Pro with SP2.

the errors i get are

NTLDR is missing and
cannot boot from CD code 4

sorry theres not much extra there but im not at home at the minute so the errors are from memory.

Cheers

How about the PSU? What kind is it? What kind of RAM too? Every bit of information might be important.
From the information you gave id try to reset the bios firstly, then if that doesnt have much effect tryt swaping out the IDE cable with a new one or one you know works.. if that doesnt work it could be your IDE controller on your board going out.. But it could be many a other thing.. PSU is a huge possibility as well if none of the steps above help depending on its brand.

Remember that ok, yes his OS is down the drain, but searching for quoting him) "cannot boot from CD code 4" in google returns many results that say the cd cannot boot either.

If he tries a bootdisk, things may be sorted. Otherwise his bios is playing up.

Thanks for the replies.

Ill give a boot disk and a repair a try in the morning as im sure the hardware is fine.

Oh and I tried reloading the bios from the back up and it didnt help as did swapping cables and sata channels.

Cheers

Back