• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to add a third display?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgvnut

Registered
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct section to post this topic. I just got most the parts for my new system. I got an evga 8800 gts 640mb version. I got 2 samsung 226bw monitors that will be connected to the 8800. I have a LCD tv mounted on the wall right above where i am planning to place my 2 samsung monitors. What i want to know is, if it is possible to get a second video card to connect the tv to. I'll probably only be using the tv when i would like to watch a movie or something like that. I won't be using it quite as often as the 2 monitors.

I tried to search but could not find much info on this topic. I did come across this thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=6269, but that is a solution for people that are running SLI. I am not going to be running SLI. I have a DFI p35 board. So would that apply to me too? Would my best option be to get an ATI PCI card to run the tv? In the future, i might also consider adding another monitor to the setup to have a total of 3 monitors for my desktop and the 4th connection to my tv. That is only if this is all possible.

Some of you might suggest the matrox triplehead2go. I was actually thinking about getting it, until i figured out it would not support the resolution that i desire to run. On their site it says this, "Achieve an incredible 45" of total diagonal (or more), running your Windows desktop at up to 3840 x 1024 resolution stretched across three displays (1280 x 1024 per display)." I want to run each screen at 1680x1050. I am too used to my desktop running at this resolution, i tried changing the display settings to 1280x1024 and i do not like it one bit. It does not look normal to me everything seems stretched out wider.

Can someone guide me toward the right direction to obtain my desired setup?

Thanks

Yep, you've got it exactly right.
Just find an old video card that will support the resolution you want to run and pop it in.

triplehead2go is not what you need and will not do what you want it to do. SO yes, a PCI video card will get the job done.

ooor a DVI or HDMI switch. If you're not going to use the TV and monitors at the same time this would be the simplest and least issue-prone approach, no cahnce for driver conflicts for example. And if you might use it in the future, Vista doesn't allow multiple driver installs afaik.

Back