• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does windows need to use a registry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

I 've done everything I can to this computer to speed it up. It shuts down in the blink of an eye. It performs well once it's fully loaded. Everything pops open like it's a fresh install. BUT, it still takes forever to boot into windows.

After a thorough cleaning of every aspect of it. Everything except removing all my applications and games. There is one culprit.

THE REGISTRY!

Even after removing the bloat, defragging it/compressing it, it is still a whopping 60MB.

I have removed some programs to help but there's the rest that I don't want to be forced to remove. I think it's ridiculous.

SO, why does windows need a registry? Does it hold references to places in memory to speed up the start of an application? What gives?

I am really surprised noone has found a way to create some kind of pseudo registry for appz or something. Some way of not having to have appz register to it.

Thanks in advance.

Theres a simple way to get windows to boot quicker other changing the regisrty. Use a Solid state Flash drive to store windows on, and not only is it silent but it also loads much much faster than any other HDD in the world. Samsung do a 32GB one, which would fit windows on it and possibly some games as well.

They are way more expensive than you can imagine. Affordability is way down the road.

Way smarter people than me have found various ways to speed stuff up as far as optimizations to the registry. The fact is, if you use Windows, the registry is a fact of life, and to date noone has found a way around it or a better method of operation.

They are way more expensive than you can imagine. Affordability is way down the road.

Way smarter people than me have found various ways to speed stuff up as far as optimizations to the registry. The fact is, if you use Windows, the registry is a fact of life, and to date noone has found a way around it or a better method of operation.
Yeah...pretty much imagine the registry scattered randomly throughout your entire hard-drive. Sounds less fun, eh?

Back