• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phase for quad/dual tuning - what gives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends. You might need to use a different refrigerant which can hold higher heatload, charge with more or less, really complicated.

Yep all correct,
Just shortening the captube and recharging with more refrigerant is okay with some units but often times a new evaporator setup on machs and vapos is needed and or a new condenser to increase capacity.

I use the same components on my custom builds for dual and quadcore builds, the only change is the captube length, refrigerant charge, and possibly condenser fan. But for mods it really depends on what you have to start with, as mentioned above.

between all the replies, just about every component but the case has been mentioned for replacing/modifing.

--pak

And controller! ;) Unless your unit comes equipped with a NF9FX which I believe the Mach II GT was the only one, you are basically gutting the case and replacing everything.

Honestly I doubt it as I believe we've seen the hottest chips we'll ever see unless perhaps when we make the jump to octo-core chips. Current 65nm quad-cores are capable of killing a VapoLS but I would like to say that the upcoming 45nm quad-cores will run happily under a VapoLS. We won't really know though until they start launching en masse.

Honestly I doubt it as I believe we've seen the hottest chips we'll ever see unless perhaps when we make the jump to octo-core chips. Current 65nm quad-cores are capable of killing a VapoLS but I would like to say that the upcoming 45nm quad-cores will run happily under a VapoLS. We won't really know though until they start launching en masse.

So the idea is that you have to keep under the 200W limit of the LS?

Bearing that in mind, what would the TDP of the 45nm chips have to be to guarentee a good overclock and still stay under 200W? about 90W?

It all depends on what you consider to be a good overclock and if you are looking for a dual or quadcore chip. I imagine the dual-core chips will be able to scale rather nicely into the middle 4GHz range on a VapoLS, maybe the quads will be able to do 4.2GHz 4 cores loaded? Way too early to tell honestly.

The heat output is a factor of the differences between stock and overclocked voltages and processor speed, using the processor rated TDP as base. That will give you a loose guestimate. For instance, though my old qx6700 has a 130w TDP (same as 45nm extreme btw), technically the load was under 200w because it could clock to 3.8ghz on stock voltage.

TDP is a function of both frequency and voltage, but yes a B3 quadcore under 4GHz shouldn't dump more than 200w. So long as you don't push more heat than the system can safely remove then you'll be ok. The only problem is the low 200w limit of the LS is often below what people desire when jumping on phase.

Back