• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to h2o-cool everything on card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HiProfile

Well, I'm planning to at least. I plan on cooling my x1900xt's gpu with a maze4 cpu (not gpu) cooler, and then use my own mini waterblocks on the memory and mosfets (long red HS).

Question: I was curious if I should also make one for the VR's (big black blocks next to mosfet's red HS). My main problem is that they aren't all the same height, and the 2nd is wether or not I really need to cool them much. I could make my own chip sinks, but they wouldn't get much cooling. The plan is to use just case fans since almost all of the heat will be moved to outside the PC via the water.

BTW if anyone cares, the memory and VR blocks will be very simple, just 3/8" copper blocks connected via 1/4" copper tubes, all soldered together. Not an insane amount of cooling, but more than enough.

Well cooling whats under the red heatsink is critical if not mistaken. It does contribute to quiet a bit of heat that the board puts out so yes cooling it is ideal.

I pick up the copper slug tomorrow, so I might flex my MS Pain skillz (actually paintshop pro) to show what it eventually will look like. I'm hoping to run 2 1/4" tubes through the memory blocks, one of the two through the mosfet block, and if I can find my thermal tape I can also do the vr's (big blocks). I might just make chip sinks for them though. I'll see how far my metal skills will go, as I hate buying stuff I can easily make.

I'm also planning on continuing those 2 tubes to cool the SB, NB and the motherboard's pwm circuitry. Should turn out nice, if I ever get time to work on this stuff. School is owning me :bang head

Well, I'm planning to at least. I plan on cooling my x1900xt's gpu with a maze4 cpu (not gpu) cooler, and then use my own mini waterblocks on the memory and mosfets (long red HS).

Question: I was curious if I should also make one for the VR's (big black blocks next to mosfet's red HS). My main problem is that they aren't all the same height, and the 2nd is wether or not I really need to cool them much. I could make my own chip sinks, but they wouldn't get much cooling. The plan is to use just case fans since almost all of the heat will be moved to outside the PC via the water.

BTW if anyone cares, the memory and VR blocks will be very simple, just 3/8" copper blocks connected via 1/4" copper tubes, all soldered together. Not an insane amount of cooling, but more than enough.

The "Big Black Blocks" next to the left of the mosfets under the red strip heatsink are the phase series
inductors. Lower five are Vcore and the upper two are memory Vdd and memory Vddq. They are just a
couple of turn of copper wire around a ferrite core. Absolutely no need to WC them or the mosfets for
that matter. Just fan cool the stock strip heatsink with a couple of 30mm fans. Span the fans over the
strip heatsink and the series inductors.

Viper

Viper

Its not so much that I want to uberclock the card by cooling everything, I just want to remove as much heat as I can from not just the parts, but from my room altogether. I also want to move as much noise out of the room. I appreciate your advice, you always seem to know so much VJ :beer:

Back