• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to speed things up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattyP

Hi all,

This is my first post on OCForums :-] I've had a trawl about and can happily say that I'm gonna be spending some quality reading time here.

I'm about to break my overclocking cherry and would like to ask a question or two if you don't mind.

My base system is this,

AMD FX-57 (stock cooler)
Asus A8N-SLi mobo (still on original BIOS version)
4x 1gB Corsair XMS2 Pro (I now realize my error here, only 2gB seen in Windows)
2 x BFG 7800GT (SLi'd ok)
2 x WD 10K 74gB (RAID 0)
Seagate 650W PSU
Antec P180 Case (with more fans than Man U)
Windows XP Pro
All BIOS settings left at default.

Before I start I need to give the whole thing a good clean, she's a lil on the dusty side inside (temps still fine). She's nearly 2 years old now.

My first questions are -

1/ CPU. It's a cracker of a single core, but is it worth sodding about with or shall I just find me a dual core replacement? 3DMark 05 really struggles throught the CPU tests, a system I just built for a friend monstered it with it's Intel Duo.
Shall I stick with the stock cooler? I'm not looking to go liquid cooled.

Socket 939 CPU's seem quite a small family so any recomendations?

2/ OS. I've been thinking about a Vista upgrade. Is it worth it? Which to go for, 32 or 64bit? As you can see from above I have 4gB of Ram, will 32bit Vista see all this or is it a job for a 64 bit OS? What experience do you peeps have with backwards compatability?

3/ Is it worth it? How much more speed should I expect? The reason I'm thinking about overclocking is games are now exceeding my rigs performance (World in Conflict mainly).
And it's cool. And I do have a bit of a geeky reputation to uphold.

Thanks for reading, any assistance greatly appreciated.

Feeling like he's on a very slippery and extremely steep downhill slope........ Matt

you still have a very capable rig with plenty of useful like in it. even the cpu isn't bad and definitely has some good room to OC if you get a different heatsink. i think your best and cheapest upgrade would be to do just the processor.
put in one of these for ~$70
x2 4200+ toledo
x2 4200+ manchester

i don't know which core is better so if someone wants to make a recommendation, thanks.

you could go to a new intel(775) or amd(am2) rig but you'd need a new motherboard and ram. there's a tweak to make xp recognize more ram. google away.

Thanks for coming back DJRussel :-]

I will look into the XP tweak without a doubt. Thats a right 'lil gem you've just chucked me, Ta.

I'll agree that it's still a capable rig. But I've started really looking into how it's setup and I think there's a lot of optimization to do even before overclocking. For a start my memory timings are way off.

The main motivation for getting me off me ar5e is that I've just built a new system for a mate. Was a Intel Duo 6400 (I think) based system and it kicks the cr4p out of my machine in the CPU tests of 3DMark05. Mine struggles along at 1-2 FPS whilst his runs more like 6-10 easy.
Me thinks I have a big CPU bottleneck. But I think a lot of things, I get them right every nown again.

I'm off to look for this XP RAM tweak.

If anyone has any suggestions about increasing my CPU/RAM please plop 'em down.

Cheers, Matt

In any cpu test, the max fps is 2fps.

I\d get the toledo 4200+, toledos > manchesters.
However, if you can find a opteron 165, i'd chose that over the 4200+

If you are NOT overclocking, choose the 4200+

Get the 64bit vista, you need a 64bit os to see all your ram.

Also, nice 7800GT SLi setup, but switiching to a 8800GTS/8800GTX will yield a huge performance increase.

Back