• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 defaulting to 6 multi instead of 9?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
I'm running a Q6600 in an Asus P5K Premium with Crucial Balistix.

At install it detected and ran at the stock multiplier of 9X.

Today I was working on a bit of overclocking and after hitting a bus speed of 380 (no problems) I tried for 390 (using the Asus AI Suite). The system locked up and had to be rebooted.

After the reboot the system always sets the multiplier (as detected in CPU-Z) at 6 :bang head

I have rebooted, reset the bios to default, changed the multi to 6,7,8,9 manually, and I always get a multi of 6 in CPU-Z.

What am I missing?

This is similar to what i had on my abit board the only way around it that i could find was to switch of some of the thermal throttling in the bios.

Well, seeing as how you are a senior member, would it be stupid to ask if you have disabled EIST and Speedstep?

I have rebooted, reset the bios to default, changed the multi to 6,7,8,9 manually, and I always get a multi of 6 in CPU-Z.

What am I missing?

Is your processor idle while you're looking at CPU-Z? If so, all you're seeing is speedstep working as intended. It automatically reduced processor frequency when the processor is not being used, similar to what laptops have done for quite some time. Fire up prime95 or another similar app, and it should jump to full speed right away.

It's for sure speedstep. C1E is disabled under CPU features in BIOS? Sounds like the BIOS may be acting up on you, might be worth it to flash it.

How strange. Would have sworn it would be Speedstep with the symptoms you described. Glad its working for you now. If it acts up again, it might not be a bad idea to update the BIOS as someone already suggested.

eh sometimes disableing eist/c1e doesnt always take the first time thru the bios...

Back